SDN-Based Time-Domain Error Correction for In-Network Video QoE Estimation in Wireless Networks
Our previous study proposed a channel utilization method in Software-Defined Networking (SDN) enabled multi-channel wireless mesh network (SD-WMN), which utilizes all of channel resources efficiently. However, when different types of applications are transferred together, their QoE cannot be maintained because of differences in important factors affecting QoE among these applications. Therefore, in order to handle application flows more efficiently based on QoE, this paper focuses on QoE estimation for every ongoing flows through SD-WMN. Since some parameters required for QoE calculation cannot be obtained from OpenFlow, we estimate QoE based on not only the results from SDN-based measurement but also the estimated values of parameters. Finally, we showed that our proposed method is effective for video QoE estimation, especially in a case where there is no packet loss.
This paper was partly supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 17H03270, NICT Grant Number 19304, and USA Grant number NSF 17-586.
- 1.Tagawa, M., Taenaka, Y., Tsukamoto, K., Yamaguchi, S.: A channel utilization method for flow admission control with maximum network capacity toward loss-free software defined WMNs. In: ICN 2015, February 2016Google Scholar
- 2.Nam, H., Kim, K.H., Kim, J.Y., Schulzrinne, H.: Towards QoE-aware video streaming using SDN. In: GLOBECOM, December 2014Google Scholar
- 3.Seppänen, J., Varela, M.: QoE-driven network management for real-time over-the-top multimedia services. In: WCNC, April 2013Google Scholar
- 4.Erfanian, A., Tashtarian, F., Yaghmaee, M.H.: On maximizing QoE in AVC-based HTTP adaptive streaming: an SDN approach. In: IWQoS, June 2018Google Scholar
- 5.Farshad, A., Georgopoulos, P., Broadbent, M., Mu, M., Race, N.: Leveraging SDN to provide an in-network QoE measurement framework. In: INFOCOM Workshop CNTCV, May 2015Google Scholar
- 6.Bouzidi, E.H., Luong, D.H., Outtagarts, A., Hebbar, A., Langar, R.: Online-based learning for predictive network latency in software-defined networks. In: GLOBECOM, December 2018Google Scholar
- 7.Recommendation ITU-T G.1071: Opinion model for network planning of video and audio streaming applications, November 2016Google Scholar