Training and Credentialing the Robotic Bariatric Surgeon
- 33 Downloads
Robotic surgery is gaining popularity across various surgical specialties, including bariatric surgery. Training the robotic bariatric surgeon involves two separate components: robotic surgery training and bariatric surgery training. Although requirements for robotic surgery certification have been established by Intuitive Surgical, there are currently no formal guidelines for robotic bariatric surgery training. Once robotic certification is obtained, it is up to the particular program to determine the optimal method of training the robotic bariatric surgeon. Credentialing is institution dependent and may vary.
KeywordsBariatric surgery Robotic surgery Credentialing Training Roux-en-Y bypass Sleeve gastrectomy
- 2.Center for Devices and Radiological Health. Computer-Assisted Surgical Systems. US Food and Drug Administration Home Page. https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/ComputerAssistedSurgicalSystems/default.htm. Accessed 18 Oct 2018.
- 3.da Vinci Surgery Customer Portal Instructions for SimNow Link. Training. http://www.davincisurgerycommunity.com/. Accessed 18 Oct 2018.
- 5.American College of Surgeons Bariatric Surgery Center Network Program Manual, V4.03–01–11.Google Scholar
- 6.American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Guidelines for granting privileges in bariatric surgery. October 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.Joint Task Force Recommendations for Credentialing of Bariatric Surgeons. ASMBS. Available at: https://asmbs.org/resources/joint-task-force-recommendations-for-credentialing-of-bariatric-surgeons. Published June, 2013. Accessed 12 Oct 2018.
- 8.Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. American College of Surgeons. Available at: https://www.facs.org/quality-programs/mbsaqip. Accessed 12 Oct 2018.