Endoscopic Treatment of Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Complications
- 33 Downloads
The Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) is effective and safe to treat obesity. However, the increasing number of bariatric procedures performed worldwide leads to an increase, in absolute number, of surgical complications such as leak, gastrojejunal stricture, weight regain, marginal ulcer, and ring complications.
The surgical approach was the first therapeutic option of these complications for a long time. However, revisional surgery is associated with elevated morbidity and mortality. Recently, due to its minimally invasive approach, endoluminal procedures are being increasingly used to treat these adverse outcomes, leading to bariatric endoscopy development. In this chapter we provide an overview of the most important bariatric endoscopy procedures to treat RYGB complications.
KeywordsObesity Bariatric surgery Bariatric endoscopy Complications Leak Stents
- 6.Coblijn UK, Lagarde SM, De Castro SMM, Kuiken SD, Van Tets WF, Van Wagensveld BA. The influence of prophylactic proton pump inhibitor treatment on the development of symptomatic marginal ulceration in Roux-en-Y gastric bypass patients: a historic cohort study. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016;12(2):246–52.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Rosenthal RJ, International Sleeve Gastrectomy Expert Panel, Diaz AA, Arvidsson D, Baker RS, Basso N, et al. International Sleeve Gastrectomy Expert Panel Consensus Statement: best practice guidelines based on experience of 12,000 cases. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2012;8(1):8–19.Google Scholar
- 31.Klimczak T, Klimczak J, Szewczyk T, Janczak P, Jurałowicz P. Endoscopic treatment of leaks after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy using MEGA esophageal covered stents. Surg Endosc Other Interv Tech. 2017;32(4):1–8.Google Scholar
- 36.Vix M, Marx L, Diana M, Perretta S, Donatelli G, Callari C, et al. Management of staple line leaks after sleeve gastrectomy in a consecutive series of 378 patients. Surg Endosc Other Interv Tech. 2012;26(1):S207.Google Scholar
- 39.Seyfried F, Reimer S, Miras AD, Kenn W, Germer CT, Scheurlen M, et al. Successful treatment of a gastric leak after bariatric surgery using endoluminal vacuum therapy. Endoscopy. 2013;45(SUPPL2):267–9.Google Scholar
- 40.Dayyeh BKA, Lautz DB, Thompson CC. Gastrojejunal stoma diameter predicts weight regain after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. YJCGH. 2011;9(3):228–33.Google Scholar
- 48.Patel LY, Lapin B, Brown CS, Stringer T, Gitelis ME, Linn JG, et al. Outcomes following 50 consecutive endoscopic gastrojejunal revisions for weight gain following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a comparison of endoscopic suturing techniques for stoma reduction. Surg Endosc. 2017;31(6):2667–77.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar