Histological Variants in Bladder Cancer—Small Cell Carcinoma
Small-cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder is a rare and aggressive type of bladder cancer that has a poor prognosis (Thota et al. in Clin Genitourin Cancer 11(2):73–77, 2013). The incidence has been gradually increasing because of the aging population (Thota et al. in Clin Genitourin Cancer 11(2):73–77, 2013). Owing to its rarity there are no available treatment guidelines (Thota et al. in Clin Genitourin Cancer 11(2):73–77, 2013). This chapter covers management.
- Alanee S, Alvarado-Cabrero I, Murugan P, Kumar R, Nepple KG, Paner GP, Patel MI, Raspollini MR, Lopez-Beltran A, Konety BR. Update of the international consultation on urological diseases on bladder cancer 2018: non-urothelial cancers of the urinary bladder. World J Urol. 2018.Google Scholar
- Choong NW, Quevedo JF, Kaur JS. Small cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder. The Mayo Clinic experience. Cancer. 2005;103(6):1172–8.Google Scholar
- Gkirlemis K, Miliadou A, Koukourakis G, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A. Small cell carcinoma of the bladder: a search of the current literature. J Buon. 2013;18(1):220–6.Google Scholar
- Gupta S, Thompson RH, Boorjian SA, Thapa P, Hernandez LP, Jimenez RE, Costello BA, Frank I, Cheville JC. High grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the urinary bladder treated by radical cystectomy: a series of small cell, mixed neuroendocrine and large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma. Pathology. 2015;47(6):533–42.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Siefker-Radtke AO, Dinney CP, Abrahams NA, Moran C, Shen Y, Pisters LL, Grossman HB, Swanson DA, Millikan RE. Evidence supporting preoperative chemotherapy for small cell carcinoma of the bladder: a retrospective review of the M. D. Anderson cancer experience. J Urol. 2004;172(2):481–4.Google Scholar