Having entered into the subreddit, r/gaming, from a number of different angles, a portrait emerges of a cultural space ultimately marked by contestation. Clearly, evidence for the continuance of marginalising discourses is unmistakable. However, we must also be careful not to ignore or understate the dynamic contestations that are occurring in this space—or, for that matter, the emerging prominence of overtly inclusive voices. This is not a set of counter hegemonic articulations ‘relegated to the fringes’ or residing ‘on the margins’. On the contrary, the inclusive pattern of discourse identified here represents an internal force for change comparable in power to the voices trying to maintain a clearly fracturing status quo.
KeywordsHegemonic masculinity Inclusive masculinity Reddit E3 Video gaming Geek
- Airaksinen, T. (2018). New book slams ‘toxic geek masculinity’ in Big Bang Theory. Campus Reform. https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10714. Accessed 16 June 2019.
- The Amazing Lucas. (2018). Liberal Propaganda at E3 2018. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dILEN9M_FP0. Accessed 16 June 2019.
- Connell, R. (1990). An iron man: the body and some contradictions of hegemonic masculinity. In M. Messner and D. Sabo (Eds.) Sport, Men and the Gender Order. Champaign, IL, USA: Human Kinetics Books.Google Scholar
- Connell, R. (1995). Masculinities. Berkley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Connell, R. and Messerschmidt, J. W. (2005). Hegemonic masculinity, rethinking the concept. Gender & Society, 19(6), 829–859.Google Scholar
- Gelman, S. (2003). The Essential Child: Origins of Essentialism in Everyday Thought. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Massanari, A. (2015). Participatory Culture, Community, and Play: Learning from Reddit. New York: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Massanari, A. (2017). # Gamergate and The Fappening: How Reddit’s algorithm, governance, and culture support toxic technocultures. New Media & Society, 19(3), 329–346.Google Scholar
- Messerschmidt, J. W. (2017). Masculinities and Femicide. Qualitative Sociological Review, XIII(3), 70–79.Google Scholar
- Nyan, E. (2019). Ghost Wire: Tokyo game director’s adorable stage presence at E3 inspires memes, fan art. Sora News 24. https://soranews24.com/2019/06/10/ghost-wire-tokyo-game-directors-adorable-stage-presence-at-e3-inspires-memes-fan-art/. Accessed 16 June 2019.
- Pereiera, C. (2019). E3’s Ups And Downs: A History Before The 2019 Show. Gamespot. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3s-ups-and-downs-a-history-before-the-2019-show/1100-6458998/. Accessed 16 June 2019.
- Roberts, S. (2018). Young Working-Class Men in Transition. Abingdon Oxon UK: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Shaw, A. (2013). On not becoming gamers: Moving beyond the constructed audience. Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology, 2.Google Scholar
- Sharlet, J. (2018). What of the people who aren't the Weinsteins and the Lauers and the Roses of the world? Esquire. https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a15918006/sharlet-men/. Accessed 16 June 2019.
- Vincent, B. (2018). Gears 5 is All about Its New Frontwoman, Kait Diaz. Syfy Wire. https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/gears-5-is-all-about-its-new-frontwoman-kait-diaz. Accessed 16 June 2019.
- Webber, J. E. (2016). E3 diversity report - so was it a white guy-fest again? The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/15/black-female-video-game-heroes-e3-diversity-report-microsoft-bethesda-sony-ubisoft-ea. Accessed 16 June 2019.
- Whitehead, S. M. (2002). Men and masculinities: Key themes and new directions. London: Polity.Google Scholar