The Fifth Column, August–December 1937
In late August, Ernest reunited with Martha and Herbert Matthews in Paris. He found that the City of Light was overflowing with visitors to the International Exhibition. The German and Soviet pavilions towering over the International Exhibition on rival sides of the Trocadero fountains reflected the geopolitical tensions hovering over Europe. Lost among these massive structures was the much smaller Spanish pavilion, which because of the Civil War had opened later than other installations and was frequently ignored by the more than 33,000,000 visitors who ultimately would attend the Exhibition.