Complex and Supercomplex Adaptive Systems
This chapter starts by looking at complex systems theory and, more importantly, complex adaptive systems theory; these systems are defined, their features are outlined and the items that make up the systems are described. Important phenomena such as boundaries and balance are addressed. It is also shown how complex systems theory fits in with other systems theories. An important point in this chapter is the introduction of supercomplex systems and, more precisely, supercomplex adaptive systems and the characteristics of them. It is important to understand these systems and how they work as they are developed in detail in the subsequent chapters. This chapter ends with a section outlining how the term supercomplexity has been used in other work and how it is used in this book.
KeywordsComplex systems theory Complex adaptive systems theory Boundaries Balance Supercomplex systems Supercomplex adaptive systems Supercomplexity
- Baianu, I., and R. Poli. 2011. From simple to complex and ultra-complex systems: A paradigm shift towards non-abelian systems dynamics. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois at Urbana, Trento University and Mitteleuropa Foundation.Google Scholar
- Barnett, R. 2014. The university in an age of supercomplexity: Challenges and possibilities. London: Institute of Education.Google Scholar
- Cabej, N. 2015. Building the most complex structure on Earth: An epigenetic narrative of development and evolution of animals. Academic Press and Elsevier: Amsterdam, The Netherlands and Boston, MA.Google Scholar
- Chan, S. 2001. Complex adaptive systems. ESD.83 Research Seminar in Engineering Systems.Google Scholar
- Cilliers, P. 2016. Boundaries, hierarchies and networks in complex systems. In Critical Complexity, ed. PaulHG Cilliers, 85–96. Berlin: De Gruyter.Google Scholar
- Crowcroft, J. 2019. Introduction to network theory. [Online] Available at https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/1011/PrincComm/slides/graph_theory_1-11.pdf. Accessed 22 March 2019.
- Colchester, J. 2016. Innovation home—Systems innovation. Systems Innovation. [Online] Available at https://complexitylabs.io/complex-system/?print-posts=word. Accessed 22 March 2019.
- Cottingham, J., R. Stoothoff, and D. Murdoch. 1985. The philosophical writings of descartes. Cambridge [Cambridgeshire]: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Davis, B., D. Sumara, and R. Luce-Kapler. 2008. Engaging minds. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Dodder, R., and R. Dare. 2000. Complex adaptive systems and complexity theory: Inter-related knowledge domains. Cambridge: Complex Adaptive Systems and Complexity Theory: Inter-related Knowledge Domains by Rebecca Dodder and Robert DareESD.83: Research Seminar in Engineering Systems Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Ducard, G. 2017. Modeling and analysis of dynamic systems. Zürich: Institute for Dynamic Systems and Control.Google Scholar
- Farnam Street. 2019. An introduction to complex adaptive systems. [Online] Available at https://fs.blog/2014/04/mental-model-complex-adaptive-systems/. Accessed 22 March 2019.
- Fausto-Sterling, Anne. 2016. On the critiques of the concept of sex: An interview with Anne Fausto-Sterling. differences 27 (1): 189–205.Google Scholar
- Hayes, F. 2018. Shaked, H., and Schechter, C. (2017). Systems thinking for school leaders: Holistic leadership for excellence in education. Cham, Switzerland: Springer. Leadership and Policy in Schools 17 (4): 647–649.Google Scholar
- Holmes, P. 2008. History of mathematics—A short history of dynamical systems theory: 1885–2007. Princeton University Press: Princeton, NJ.Google Scholar
- Hoogduin, Lex. 2016. Complexity, uncertainty and economic policy. Paper prepared for the OECD-EC-INET Oxford Workshop on Complexity and Policy, 29–30 September, OECD HQ, Paris.Google Scholar
- Kramsch, C. 2012. Why is everyone so excited about complexity theory in applied linguistics? Mélanges CRAPEL 33 (Special Edition): 10–24.Google Scholar
- Lin, Y., X. Duan, C. Zhao, and L. Xu. 2013. Systems science: Methodological approaches (Advances in Systems Science and Engineering (ASSE)), 1st ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Mazzola, T., and D. Nelson. 2014. Systems theory. [Online] Available at https://www.slideserve.com/ray-dorsey/csc551-systems-theory-living-systemstheory.
- Meadows, D.H. 2008. Thinking in systems: A primer. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green Publishing.Google Scholar
- Moreno, Y. 2014. Complex systems and networks. [Online] Available at https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/health/files/ern/docs/ev_20140623_co03_en.pdf.
- New England Complex Systems Institute. 2019. Concepts: Adaptive—New England complex systems institute. [Online] Available at http://www.necsi.edu/guide/concepts/adaptive.html. Accessed 22 March 2019.
- Perone, S., and Simmering, V. 2017. Applications of dynamic systems theory to cognition and development. Advances in Child Development and Behavior 52: 43–80.Google Scholar
- Pinazo-Calatayud, D. 2006. An approach to the study of emotions As complex dynamical systems. Electronic Magazine of Motivation and Emotion 9 (22): 1–25. Google Scholar
- Rosen, R. 1985. Anticipatory systems. New York: Pergamon Press.Google Scholar
- Sevaldson, B. 2011. Giga-mapping: Visualisation for complexity and systems thinking in design. Oslo: Oslo School of Architecture and Design, Ocean Design Research Association.Google Scholar
- Spirkin, A. 1983. Dialectical materialism. Moscow: Progress Publishers.Google Scholar
- Stave, K.A., Hopper, M. 2008. Assessing the effectiveness of systems thinking interventions in the classroom. 26th International Conference of the System Dynamics Society.Google Scholar
- Times Higher Education (THE). 2019. New life amid chaos. [Online] Available at https://www.timeshighereducation.com/books/new-life-amid-chaos/156411.article. Accessed 22 March 2019.
- Tyers, D. 2015. Using dynamic systems theory as a conceptual framework to understand the interaction of culture and language in language education. 15th IALIC Conference Intercultural Communication in Social Practice.Google Scholar