The chapter focuses on the development of political communication and campaigning in Bulgaria. It starts with a brief overview of the basic characteristics of the political and party system. Then, it introduces the main laws and rules the campaigners must comply with. After that, the author describes the evolution of communication tactics and techniques used by parties and candidates to persuade voters to vote for them over the last three decades. At the end of the chapter, the author discusses the most recent campaigning trends in Bulgaria and summarises the chapter.
KeywordsElection campaign Political communication Bulgaria Post-communist country
- Central Election Committee. https://www.cik.bg/. Accessed 20 June 2019.
- Constitution of the Republic of Bulgaria, prom. SG 56/13 July 1991, amend. SG 85/26 Sept. 2003, SG 18/25 Feb. 2005, SG 27/31 March 2006, Sg 78/26 Sept. 2006 – Constitutional Court, Judgment no.7/2006, SG 12/6 Feb. 2007.Google Scholar
- Kanev, Dobrin. 2014. Parties and the Party System and the Quality of Democracy. In The Quality of Democracy in Bulgaria, ed. Dobrin Kanev and Antoni Todorov, 225–293. Sofia: East-West Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Election Code of Bulgaria, adopted on 5 March 2014. https://www.lex.bg/en/laws/ldoc/2135715515. Accessed 20 June 2019.
- European Commision for democracy through law (Venice Commission), Strasbourg, 18 June 2014 Opinion No. 750/2013 CDL-REF(2014)025. https://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/documents/default.aspx?pdffile=CDL-REF(2014)025-e. Accessed 20 June 2019.
- Karasimeonov, Georgi. 2016. Transformations in the Bulgarian Political System in Bulgaria. Is a Third Party System Formed? In Politics and Democracy, 30 Years of Bulgarian Political Science (1986–2016), ed. A. Tomov, 77–88. Sofia: “St. Kliment Ohridski” Publishing House.Google Scholar
- National Round Table. 1990. Documents Agreement on the Election Campaign on Radio and Television. http://www.omda.bg/public/bulg/k_masa/dokumenti_round_table/agreement_election_campaign.htm. Accessed 11 Nov 2018.