Computational Analysis of the Flow Around a Surface Combatant at \(10^\circ \) Static Drift
This paper presents a local and global computational study of the flow around the US Navy frigate DTMB 5415 at \(10^\circ \) static drift configuration. A thorough validation study comparing isotropic \(k-\omega \) SST, non linear anisotropic EARSM statistical closures and the unsteady hybrid RANS-LES DES-SST model is conducted. This validation study includes detailed global and local comparisons with IIHR (Iowa Institute of Hydraulic Research) remarkable TPIV experiments. These validations are conducted on a very fine unstructured grid, which includes local boxes of refinement in the cores of the two main vortices, for a total number of 163M cells.
KeywordsStatic drift Validation study Hybrid RANS-LES
The computations were performed using HPC resources from GENCI (Grand Equipment National de Calcul Intensif) (Grant2016-2a0209, Grant2017-2a0129), which is gratefully acknowledged. The help of Dr. Hyunse Yoon and Professor Frederick Stern from IIHR, who provided us with these remarkable experiments at an early stage of this work, is warmly acknowledged.
- 1.Deng, G., Visonneau, M.: Comparison of explicit algebraic stress models and second-order turbulence closures for steady flows around ships. In: Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics, Nantes, France (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Larsson, L., Stern, F., Visonneau, M.: Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics, an Assessment of the Gothenburg 2010 Workshop. Springer, Berlin (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Nikitin, N.V., Nicoud, F., Wasistho, B., Squires, K.D., Spalart, P.R.: An approach to wall modelling in Large-Eddy simulations. Phys. Fluids 12, 1481–1510 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Queutey, P., Visonneau, M.: An interface capturing method for free-surface hydrodynamic flows. Comput. Fluids 36, 1481–1510 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Rubino, G.: Large dynamic manoeuvers for a naval vehicle. Master Research Thesis, Centrale Nantes (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Visonneau, M., Guilmineau, E., Rubino, G.: Computational analysis of the flow around a surface combatant at 10\(^ \circ \) static drift and dynamic sway conditions. In: 32nd Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Hamburg, Germany (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Yoon, H., Gui, L., Bhushan, S., Stern, F.: Tomographic PIV measurements for a surface combatant at straight ahead and static drift conditions. In: 30th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Hobart, Australia (2014)Google Scholar