PDO Phu Quoc Fish Sauce in Vietnam
The Phu Quoc fish sauce is a product out of anchovies fished and processed around and on the Vietnamese island of Phu Quoc and sea salt from the area of Ba Ria-Vung Tau and Phan Thiet. The product which has acquired an excellent reputation over the last 200 years thanks to its dark red-brown colour, salty, strong sweet with natural fatty taste and its delicate special smell. The product has been known outside its home island since the late 1950s and became very popular between 1965 and 1975. In 2001, the Phu Quoc fish sauce was the first product to obtain the Geographical Indication (GI) status in Vietnam. In 2012, Phu Quoc fish sauce was granted the European Union Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) status, once again as the first Vietnamese product to achieve this recognition. The price premium at the fishing stage is very small and is bigger at the processing and distribution levels. The processing and distribution levels show the largest difference in net results between the PDO and the Non-PDO, while the fishing level shows a small difference. The PDO Phu Quoc fish sauce is exported abroad less than the Non-PDO one, which reflects positively on the food miles indicator, measured as distance travelled. The positive differential performance of the PDO Phu Quoc fish sauce, compared to the Non-PDO one, in the social indicators is determined also by the significant involvement of females in all the stages of the value chain, except for the fishing one where more men are employed.
- Anh T. (2014). Nước mắm Phú Quốc: Khẳng định chất lượng để bảo vệ thương hiệu. https://congthuong.vn/nuoc-mam-phu-quoc-khang-dinh-chat-luong-de-bao-ve-thuong-hieu-41135.html. Accessed Oct 2017.Google Scholar
- Bellassen, V., Giraud, G., Hilal, M., Arfini, F., Barczak, A., Bodini, A., Brennan, M., Drut, M., Duboys de Labarre, M., Gorton, M., Hartmann, M., Majewski, E., Monier-Dilhan, S., Muller, P., Poméon, T., Tocco, B., Tregear, A., Veneziani, M., Vergote, M-H., Vitterso, G., Wavresky, P., & Wilkinson, A. (2016). Methods and indicators for measuring the social, environmental and economic impacts of food quality schemes, short food supply chains and varying public sector food procurement policies on agri-food chain participants and rural territories. Deliverable 3.2 of the Strength2Food Project. [Online], available at. https://www.strength2food.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/D3_2_Methodological-Handbook.pdf. Accessed 6 May 2019.
- Hildebrant, K. (2015). Fish sauce taste test, 13 brands compared, our daily brine. https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/. Accessed Oct 2017.
- Luong, T. H. (2014). Sổ tay hướng dẫn quản lý và sử dụng chỉ dẫn địa lý Phú Quốc cho sản phẩm nước mắm (The handbook for the management and use of Phu Quoc protected designation of origin for the extract of fish), Dự án EU-Mutrap.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, T.T. (2016). Management Experience of GI “Phu Quoc” and its Registration in Europe. In Workshop Commitments on the Geographical Indications (GIs) in the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA), EU – Mutrap project.Google Scholar
- People’s Committee of Kien Giang Province (Kien Giang PC). (2017). www.kiengiang.gov.vn. Accessed Oct 2017.
- Phu Quoc Fish Sauce Association (Phu Quoc FSA). (2011). Application for the registration of the protected designation of origin Phú Quốc extract of fish.Google Scholar
- Phu Quoc Fish Sauce Association (Phu Quoc FSA). (2016). Commitment on the Geographical Indications (GIs) in the EU-VIETNAM Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA).Google Scholar
- Research Institute for Marine Fisheries (RIMF). (2016). www.rimf.org.vn. Accessed Oct 2017.
- VOV Vietnam. (2017). Chỉ dẫn địa lý nước mắm Phú Quốc vẫn còn mờ nhạt. http://vov.vn/kinh-te/chi-dan-dia-ly-nuoc-mam-phu-quoc-van-con-mo-nhat-684615.vov. Accessed Oct 2017.
- Vu, H. (2017). The art of Phu Quoc fish sauce what makes it so special? http://www.atravellersjournal.com/the-art-of-phu-quoc-fish-sauce-what-makes-it-so-special/. Accessed Oct 2017.
- Winther, U., Ziegler, F., Hognes, E. S., Emanuelsson, A., Sund, V., & Ellingsen, H. (2009). Carbon footprint and energy use of Norwegian seafood products. SINTEF Fisheries and aquaculture, 32.Google Scholar