Managing Patient Expectations for Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty
Setting the table for success following a unicompartmental knee arthroplasty starts long before the surgical incision. Engagement of the patient by the surgeon and their supporting providers provides for a level of trust and understanding, as well as an opportunity to encourage patient empowerment in their own recovery. Prophylactically addressing common questions related to a unicompartmental knee arthroplasty, and providing hands-on experience with implants, allows the patient to have a greater understanding of the risks, benefits and expectations for surgery, its recovery, and, ultimately, the anticipated outcome.
KeywordsEducation Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Partial-Knee Arthroplasty Patient Expectations Outcomes
- 2.Lisowski LA, Meijer LI, van Den Bekerom MPJ, Pilot P, Lisowski AE. Ten- to 15-year results of the Oxford phase III mobile unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: a prospective study from a non-designer group. Bone Jt J. 2016;98(B):41–7. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.98B10.BJJ-2016-0474.R1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Winnock de Grave P, Barbier J, Luyckx T, Ryckaert A, Gunst P, Van den Daelen L. Outcomes of a fixed-bearing, medial, cemented unicondylar knee arthroplasty design: survival analysis and functional score of 460 cases. J Arthroplast. 2018;33:2792–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2018.04.031.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Baker PN, Jameson SS, Deehan DJ, Gregg PJ, Porter M, Tucker K. Mid-term equivalent survival of medial and lateral unicondylar knee replacement: an analysis of data from a National Joint Registry. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012;94:1641–8. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.94B12.29416.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Liddle AD, Judge A, Pandit H, Murray DW. Adverse outcomes after total and unicompartmental knee replacement in 101,330 matched patients: a study of data from the National Joint Registry for England and Wales. Lancet Lond Engl. 2014;384:1437–45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60419-0.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Goh GS-H, Bin Abd Razak HR, Tay DK-J, Chia S-L, Lo N-N, Yeo S-J. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty achieves greater flexion with no difference in functional outcome, quality of life, and satisfaction vs total knee arthroplasty in patients younger than 55 years. A propensity score–matched cohort analysis. J Arthroplast. 2018;33:355–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2017.09.022.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Rougraff BT, Heck DA, Gibson AE. A comparison of tricompartmental and unicompartmental arthroplasty for the treatment of gonarthrosis. Clin Orthop. 1991:157–64.Google Scholar
- 14.Zuiderbaan HA, van der List JP, Khamaisy S, Nawabi DH, Thein R, Ishmael C, et al. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty versus total knee arthroplasty: which type of artificial joint do patients forget? Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017;25:681–6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-015-3868-1.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Naal FD, Fischer M, Preuss A, Goldhahn J, von Knoch F, Preiss S, et al. Return to sports and recreational activity after unicompartmental knee arthroplasty return to sports and recreational activity after unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Am J Sports Med. 2007;35:1688–95. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546507303562. CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Siman H, Kamath AF, Carrillo N, Harmsen WS, Pagnano MW, Sierra RJ. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty vs total knee arthroplasty for medial compartment arthritis in patients older than 75 years: comparable reoperation, revision, and complication rates. J Arthroplast. 2017;32:1792–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2017.01.020.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Fabre-Aubrespy M, Ollivier M, Pesenti S, Parratte S, Argenson J-N. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty in patients older than 75 results in better clinical outcomes and similar survivorship compared to total knee arthroplasty. A matched controlled study. J Arthroplast. 2016;31:2668–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2016.06.034.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Weale AE, Murray DW, Crawford R, Psychoyios V, Bonomo A, Howell G, et al. Does arthritis progress in the retained compartments after “Oxford” medial unicompartmental arthroplasty? A clinical and radiological study with a minimum ten-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999;81:783–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Berend KR, George J, Lombardi AV. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty to total knee arthroplasty conversion: assuring a primary outcome. Orthopedics. 2009;32 https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20090728-32.
- 39.Leta TH, Lygre SHL, Skredderstuen A, Hallan G, Gjertsen J-E, Rokne B, et al. Outcomes of unicompartmental knee arthroplasty after aseptic revision to total knee arthroplasty: a comparative study of 768 TKAs and 578 UKAs revised to TKAs from the Norwegian Arthroplasty register (1994 to 2011). J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016;98:431–40. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.O.00499.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar