Deep-Inelastic Scattering of Nuclei
As already noted, at low collision energies in reactions with heavy ions with nonzero impact parameters, a binary process dominates, in which two new fragments are formed: a + A → b + B. In a narrow region of grazing collisions, it is possible to distinguish channels with a small transfer of mass, energy, and angular momentum, that is, the quasi-elastic scattering processes considered in the preceding chapter. However, in most cases, such collisions show a significant loss of kinetic energy, and sometimes a significant rearrangement of the charge and mass of the colliding nuclei. However, as we shall see below, even with a large loss of kinetic energy in the exit channel, nuclei close in mass and charge to the projectile and target are most likely to be observed. Such fragments are commonly referred to as projectile-like fragments (PLF) and target-like fragments (TLF).
- 18.L. Corradi, G. Pollarolo, S. Szilner, Multinucleon transfer processes in heavy-ion reactions. J. Phys. G: Nucl. Part. Phys. 36(11), 113101, 2009Google Scholar
- 22.J.M. Eisenberg, W. Greiner, Microscopic Theory of the Nucleus (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1972)Google Scholar
- 36.M.G. Itkis, J. Aysto, S. Beghini, A.A. Bogachev, L. Corradi, O. Dorvaux, A. Gadea, G. Giardina, F. Hanappe, I.M. Itkis, M. Jandel, J. Kliman, S.V. Khlebnikov, G.N. Kniajeva, N.A. Kondratiev, E.M. Kozulin, L. Krupa, A. Latina, T. Materna, G. Montagnoli, Yu.Ts. Oganessian, I.V. Pokrovsky, E.V. Prokhorova, N. Rowley, V.A. Rubchenya, A.Ya. Rusanov, R.N. Sagaidak, F. Scarlassara, A.M. Stefanini, L. Stuttge, S. Szilner, M. Trotta, W.H. Trzaska, D.N. Vakhtin, A.M. Vinodkumar, V.M. Voskressenski, V.I. Zagrebaev, Shell effects in fission and quasi-fission of heavy and superheavy nuclei. Nucl. Phys. A 734, 136–147 (2004)Google Scholar
- 43.J. Maruhn, W. Greiner, The asymmetrie two center shell model. Z. Angew. Phys. 251(5), 431–457 (1972)Google Scholar
- 75.H.J. Wollersheim, W.W. Wilcke, J.R. Birkelund, J.R. Huizenga, W.U. Schröder, H. Freiesleben, D. Hilscher, 209Bi + 136Xe reaction at Elab = 1422 MeV. Phys. Rev. C 24, 2114–2126 (1981)Google Scholar