Toward an Effective African Human Rights System: The Nature and Implications of the Relationship Between the African Union Policy Organs and Human Rights Bodies
Functioning within the framework of the African Union (AU), the effectiveness and even survival of the African human rights system is to a large extent dependent on the AU as a collective of States. This Chapter analyzes the relationship between the policymaking organs of the AU and the human rights bodies, with a focus on the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights (Commission) and the African Court on Human and People’s Rights (Court), in order to identify its implications for the African human rights system. It is argued that the working relationship between these bodies is poor and largely unconstructive. The major gaps have been identified and their implications analyzed. The Chapter delivers into the human rights discourse in Africa and provides workable recommendations towards strengthening the African human rights system.
Books and Articles in Books
- Chigara, Ben. “Tentative Reflection on the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.” In The African Regional Human Rights System: 30 Years After the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, edited by Manisuli Ssenyonjo, 401–420. The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2012.Google Scholar
- Gawanas, Bience. “The African Union: Concepts and Implementation Mechanisms Relating to Human Rights.” In Human Rights in Africa: Legal Perspectives on Their Protection and Promotion, edited by Anton Bösl and Joseph Diescho, 135–163. Windhoek: Macmillan Education Namibia, 2000.Google Scholar
- Mbondenyi, Morris. International Human Rights and Their Enforcement in Africa. Nairobi: LawAfrica Publishing Ltd, 2011.Google Scholar
- Murray, Rachel. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and International Law. Oxford: Hart Publishing, 2000.Google Scholar
- Essien, Udeme. “The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights: Eleven Years After.” Buffalo Human Rights Law Review 97, no. 6 (2000): 93–111.Google Scholar
- Heyns, Christof. “The African Regional Human Rights System: In Need of Reform?” African Human Rights Law Journal 1, no. 2 (2002): 155–174.Google Scholar
- Ibrahim, Badawi. “The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights: Prospects and Problems.” Right 7, no. 3 (1989): 272–283.Google Scholar
- Udombana, Nsongurua. “The Institutional Structure of the African Union: A Legal Analysis.” California Western International Law Journal 33, no. 1 (2002): 133.Google Scholar
- “Activity Reports.” African Commission on Human and People’s Rights. Last modified, March 9, 2018. http://www.achpr.org/activity-reports/.
- “Advisory Proceedings.” African Court on Human and Peoples Rights. March 9, 2018. http://www.african-court.org/en/index.php/cases/2016-10-17-16-19-35.
- “Decisions and Declarations.” African Union. Last modified, March 9, 2018. https://au.int/en/decisions/decisions-declarations-and-resolution-assembly-union-twenty-seven-ordinary-session.