Quality Assurance and Accreditation as a Mechanism for Accountability
This chapter provides a panorama of the national quality assurance arrangements in Vietnamese higher education and a closer look particularly at its accreditation system. It outlines the national framework for quality assurance in higher education with most recent policy updates relevant to quality issues. It also sheds light on the dynamics of the driving forces in the quality assurance system and on how these players have influenced the development of this sub-system. In addition to the Vietnamese quality assurance contexts and arrangements, a snapshot of common quality assurance practices in similar regional systems in the ASEAN is provided, which is expected to bring in an international comparative perspective in the issue. This partly shows how quality assurance movements have reflected in national higher education developments.
- AUN-QA [ASEAN University Network]. (2016). Guide to AUN-QA Assessment at Institutional level version 2.0. Bangkok, Thailand: ASEAN University Network.Google Scholar
- Bộ Giáo dục và Đào tạo [Ministry of Education and Training]. (2009). Thông tư Ban hành Quy chế thực hiện công khai đối với cơ sở giáo dục của hệ thống giáo dục quốc dân [Circular stipulating regulations on the disclosure of information about education providers in the national education system] (09/2009/TT-BGDĐT).Google Scholar
- Pitiyanuwat, S., Sujiva, S., & Pitiyanuwat, T. (2017). The rise of quality assurance in Thailand. In M. Shah & T. N. Quyen-Do (Eds.), The rise of quality assurance in Asian higher education. Oxford: Chandos Publishing.Google Scholar
- Quyen-Do, T. N. (2018a). Accreditation, ranking and classification in Vietnamese higher education: The localization of foreign-born QA models and methods. In N. T. Nguyen & L. T. Tran (Eds.), Reforming Vietnamese higher education: Global forces and local demands. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Quyen-Do, T. N. (2018b). Current perspectives on internationalisation of quality assurance at the institutional level. In L. T. Tran & S. Marginson (Eds.), Internationalisation in Vietnamese higher education (Vol. 51). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Quyen-Do, T. N., Huong-Pham, T., & Kim-Nguyen, D. (2017). Quality assurance in the Vietnamese higher education: A top-down approach and compliance-driven QA. In M. Shah & T. N. Quyen-Do (Eds.), The rise of quality assurance in Asian higher education. Oxford: Chandos Publishing.Google Scholar
- Rattananuntapat, M. (2015). Quality assurance policies in Thai higher education (Doctorate thesis), University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved from http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/26482/1/Rattananuntapat_etd2015.pdf.
- Sunarto, K. (2017). The rise of quality assurance in Indonesian higher education. In M. Shah & T. N. Quyen-Do (Eds.), The rise of quality assurance in Asian higher education. Oxford: Chandos Publishing.Google Scholar