Writing a Research Proposal for Sponsorship or Funding
A main reason for writing a research proposal is to obtain funding or other non-monetary support. For this chapter, the purpose and predominant theme of writing a research proposal is for obtaining funds to support the research project. Many of our readers already know there is no one research proposal “formula” that can be applied to all funding applications. Many of the opportunities and application processes have similar steps and may request much of the same information, however one should not “cut and paste” a previous proposal into another organization’s or agency’s application process as there are significant differences. Proposals will need some degree of repackaging to properly align to what the organization or funding agency is seeking. This chapter will offer just a glimpse of some of those common steps, and address items that make healthcare simulation unique from a research application process. It will explore some common pitfalls that can result in a research proposal’s rejection.
KeywordsProposal Research-grant Grant-application Research-proposal Sponsored-research
- 2.Bradshaw CJA. Twenty tips for writing a research proposal. https://conservationbytes.com/2015/05/04/twenty-tips-for-writing-a-research-proposal/.
- 3.How to write a research proposal. https://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Research-Proposal.
- 4.How to write your research proposal. https://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/research-degrees/how-to-apply/entry-requirements/how-to-write-your-research-proposal.
- 5.Patel A. Research in simulation: research and grant writing 101. https://www.laerdal.com/usa/sun/presentations/phoenix/day1/8-patel.pdf.
- 6.Study Guide and Strategies. How to write a research proposal. http://www.studygs.net/proposal.htm.
- 8.Center for innovation in research and teaching. Developing a research proposal. https://cirt.gcu.edu/research/developmentresources/tutorials/researchproposal.
- 9.Defense Acquisition University. Research, development, test, and evaluation (RDT&E) funds. Created 19-Apr-2015; last reviewed 20-June-2018. https://www.dau.mil/acquipedia/Pages/ArticleDetails.aspx?aid=e933639e-b773-4039-9a17-2eb20f44cf79.
- 12.Proctor EK, et al. Writing implementation research grant proposals: ten key ingredients. Implement Sci IS. 7 96. 12 Oct 2012 doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-7-96.
- 14.Morrison T. How simulation can transform regulatory pathways. 9-Aug-2018. https://www.fda.gov/ScienceResearch/AboutScienceResearchatFDA/ucm616822.htm.
- 15.Microsoft. Surgeons use Microsoft HoloLens to ‘see inside’ patients before they operate on them, 8-Feb-2018. https://news.microsoft.com/en-gb/2018/02/08/surgeons-use-microsoft-hololens-to-see-inside-patients-before-they-operate-on-them/.
- 16.Novarad. OpenSight augmented reality system is the first solution for Microsoft HoloLens 510(k) cleared by the FDA for medical use, 24-Oct-2018. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181024005714/en/Novarad%E2%80%99s-OpenSight-Augmented-Reality-System-Solution-Microsoft.
- 17.Harris M. Why did my research proposal fail. https://granttrainingcenter.com/blog/research-proposal-fail/.
- 18.National Institutes of health, success rates. https://report.nih.gov/success_rates/.