Hospital Organisations of ARF in Elderly
Hospitalisation with AHRF involves three phases in terms of the organisation: immediate clinical assessment, an assisted ventilation plan when appropriate and formulation of a future care plan. In all these phases, the figures and the settings implied in the management of ARF are different. Starting from the emergency department, the ICU, the intermediate respiratory care unit, the general ward and palliative setting are the settings in which NIV is performed. A specific organisation is required for the palliative setting and for the management of ARF in do-not-intubate order (DNI).
- 1.Ray P, Birolleau S, Lefort Y, Becquemin M-H, Beigelman-Aubry C, Isnard R, Teixeira A, Arthaud M, Riou B, Boddaert J. Acute respiratory failure in the elderly: etiology, emergency diagnosis and prognosis. Crit Care. 2006;10:R82. https://doi.org/10.1186/cc4926.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kacmarek RM. Should noninvasive ventilation be used with the do-not-intubate patient? Respir Care. 2009;54(2):223–9; discussion 229–31.Google Scholar
- 7.Vargas N, Vargas M, Galluccio V, et al. Non-invasive ventilation for very old patients with limitations to respiratory care in the half-open geriatric ward: experience on a consecutive cohort of patients. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2014;26:615. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40520-014-0223-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Nava S, Ferrer M, Esquinas A, Scala R, Groff P, Cosentini R, Guido D, Lin CH, Cuomo AM, Grassi M. Palliative use of non-invasive ventilation in end-of-life patients with solid tumours: a randomised feasibility trial. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14(3):219–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70009-3. Epub 2013 Feb 11.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Shepperd S, Lannin NA, Clemson LM, McCluskey A, Cameron ID, et al. Discharge planning from hospital to home. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(1):CD000313. PMID: 23440778.Google Scholar
- 13.Connolly B, Thompson A, Douiri A, Moxham J, Hart N. Exercise-based rehabilitation after hospital discharge for survivors of critical illness with intensive care unit-acquired weakness: a pilot feasibility trial. J Crit Care. 2015;30(3):589–98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2015.02.002.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar