Characterizations of Super-Regularity and Its Variants
Convergence of projection-based methods for nonconvex set feasibility problems has been established for sets with ever weaker regularity assumptions. What has not kept pace with these developments is analogous results for convergence of optimization problems with correspondingly weak assumptions on the value functions. Indeed, one of the earliest classes of nonconvex sets for which convergence results were obtainable, the class of so-called super-regular sets (Lewis et al., Comput. Math. 9(4), 485–513, 2009), has no functional counterpart. In this work, we amend this gap in the theory by establishing the equivalence between a property slightly stronger than super-regularity, which we call Clarke super-regularity, and subsmootheness of sets as introduced by Aussel, Daniilidis and Thibault (Amer. Math. Soc. 357, 1275–1301, 2004). The bridge to functions shows that approximately convex functions studied by Ngai, Luc and Thera (J. Nonlinear Convex Anal. 1, 155–176, 2000) are those which have Clarke super-regular epigraphs. Further classes of regularity of functions based on the corresponding regularity of their epigraph are also discussed.
KeywordsSuper-regularity Subsmoothness Approximately convex
AMS 2010 Subject Classification49J53 26B25 49J52 65K10
The research of AD has been supported by the grants AFB170001 (CMM) & FONDECYT 1171854 (Chile) and MTM2014-59179-C2-1-P (MINECO of Spain). The research of DRL was supported in part by DFG Grant SFB755 and DFG Grant GRK2088. The research of MKT was supported in part by a post-doctoral fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- 8.Kruger, A.Y., Luke, D.R., Thao, N.H.: Set regularities and feasibility problems. Math. Program. 168, 279–311 (2018). DOI 10.1007/s10107-016-1039-x.Google Scholar
- 9.Le, H.Y.: Generalized subdifferentials of the rank function. Optimization Letters pp. 1–13 (2012). DOI 10.1007/s11590-012-0456-x.URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11590-012-0456-x
- 14.Rockafellar, R.T., Wets, R.J.: Variational Analysis. Grundlehren Math. Wiss. Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Thao, N.H.: Algorithms for structured nonconvex optimization: Theory and practice. Ph.D. thesis, Georg-August Universität Göttingen, Göttingen (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Thibault, L.: Subsmooth functions and sets. Linear and Nonlinear Analysis (to appear)Google Scholar