Civility, Subversion and Technocratic Class Consciousness: Reconstituting Truth in the Journalistic Field
American journalism’s preoccupation with fake news, civility and subversion in the aftermath of Trump represents an attempt by the journalistic field (Bourdieu, 1998 & 2005) to re-articulate its cultural capital as the technocratic arbiter of Truth. American liberalism has retreated into techno-metaphors of the social which attribute Trump’s ability to circumvent the disciplines of journalistic fact-checking or civic norms as a corruption of communicative networks in the form of fake news, hacking and data breaches. The disproportionate concern for Russian subversion of democratic processes perpetuates the technocratic illusion of data-informed mastery over contingent political forces and “truth”. In disavowing the field’s role in the rise of Trump, an embattled “Resistance” habitus akin to Edward R. Murrow has emerged in order to cast the crisis as a battle for decency, civility and a patriotic centre against the subversive outside (Muhlman, 2008). The field restages past battles as a performative invocation of former glories to engender the forms of urgent affective media prosumption (Jutel, 2017) that are at the heart of fake news economies. The cost of “saving” truth and the field of journalism is the subsumption of its autonomy to the field of power as national security entrepreneurs, think tanks and research centres all offer the fantasy of divining foreign subversion within communicative networks. This techno-solutionism (Morozov, 2014) and civility fetish is necessary to avoid an antagonistic political articulation of truth, what Bourdieu terms an ‘idée-force’ (2005: 39), that would force a traumatic confrontation with the field’s own complicity in the rise of Trump.
KeywordsDonald Trump Politics Liberalism Civility Psychoanalysis
For Tony Schirato a friend and great Bourdiuian.
- Adgate, B. (2018, April 18). The Ratings Bump of Donald Trump. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2018/04/18/the-ratings-bump-of-donald-trump/#35c674da7ec1. Accessed 10 December 2018.
- Anderson, C. W., Bell, E., & Shirky, C. (2012). Post-industrial Journalism: Adapting to the Present. New York: Tow Center for Digital Journalism.Google Scholar
- Anonymous. (2018, September 5). I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opinion/trump-white-house-anonymous-resistance.html. Accessed 7 January 2019.
- Benson, R., & Neveu, E. (2005). Field Theory as a Work in Progress. In R. Benson & E. Neveu (Eds.), Bourdieu and the Journalistic Field (pp. 1–29). Cambridge: Polity. Google Scholar
- Blumenthal, M. (2018, October 23). Facebook Censorship of Alternative Media ‘Just the Beginning’ Says Top Neocon Insider. Grayzone Project. https://grayzoneproject.com/2018/10/23/facebook-censorship-of-alternative-media-just-the-beginning-says-top-neocon-insider/. Accessed 9 February 2019.
- Bourdieu, P. (1991). Language and Symbolic Power (G. Raymond & M. Adamson, Trans.). Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1993). The Field of Cultural Production (R. Johnson, Trans.). New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1995). The Rules of Art: Genesis and Structure of the Literary Field (S. Emanuel, Trans.). Stanford: Standford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1998). On Television (P. Ferguson, Trans.). New York: New Press.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (2005). The Political Field, the Social Science Field, and the Journalistic Field. In R. Benson & E. Neveu (Eds.), Bourdieu and the Journalistic Field (pp. 29–48). Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- Caton, A. (2017, March 15). Now More Than Ever. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/03/15/now-more-than-ever-now-more-than-ever-needs-to-go/?utm_term=.ed0a077b3fab. Accessed 28 November 2018.
- Chen, A. (2018, February 22). A So-Called Expert’s Uneasy Dive into the Trump-Russia Frenzy. New Yorker. https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/a-so-called-experts-uneasy-dive-into-the-trump-russia-frenzy. Accessed 7 February 2019.
- Cohen, D. (2018, December 25). Senate Report on Russian Interference Was Written by Disinformation Warriors Behind Alabama ‘False Flag Operation’. Grayzone Project. https://grayzoneproject.com/2018/12/25/senate-report-on-russian-interference-was-written-by-disinformation-warriors-behind-alabama-false-flag-operation/. Accessed 12 February 2019.
- Cohen, M. (2019, February 27). The Full Text of Michael Cohen’s Testimony to Congress. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/27/full-text-michael-cohen-statement-to-congress. Accessed 28 February 2019.
- Collins, E. (2016, February 29). Les Moonves: Trump’s Run Is ‘Damn Good for CBS’. Politico. https://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/02/les-moonves-trump-cbs-220001. Accessed 28 November 2018.
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. (2019, August 23). Sematic Forensics. Federal Business Opportunities. https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=396f5a1316fe23b1403e164067113cd3&tab=core&_cview=0. Accessed 6 September 2019.
- Dershowitz, A. (2018, June 27). Maxine Waters Does Not Speak for Democrats or Liberals. The Hill. https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/394346-maxine-waters-does-not-speak-for-democrats-or-liberals. Accessed 12 December 2018.
- FiveThrityEight. (2019, January 3). Tracking Congress in the Age of Trump. FiveThirtyEight. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/. Accessed 1 July 2019.
- Frank, T. (2016). Listen Liberal. New York: Metropolitan Books.Google Scholar
- Frank, T. (2018). Rendezvous with Oblivion. New York: Metropolitan Books.Google Scholar
- Frenkel, S., & Wakabayashi, D. (2018, February 19). After Florida School Shooting, Russian ‘Bot’ Army Pounced. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/technology/russian-bots-school-shooting.html. Accessed 2 February 2019.
- Greenwald, G. (2019, January 21). Beyond Buzzfeed: The 10 Worst, Most Embarrassing US Media Failures on the Trump-Russia Story. The Intercept. https://theintercept.com/2019/01/20/beyond-buzzfeed-the-10-worst-most-embarrassing-u-s-media-failures-on-the-trumprussia-story/. Accessed 26 February 2019.
- Grove, L. (2018, September 7). New York Times Executive Editor Dean Basquet: Yes, We Did Too Many Alan Dershowitz Stories. Daily Beast. https://www.thedailybeast.com/dean-baquet-nyt-executive-editor-yes-we-did-too-many-alan-dershowitz-stories. Accessed 12 December 2018.
- Guilford, G. (2018, June 5). Trump Now Owns the Republican Party. Quartz. https://qz.com/1295674/donald-trump-now-owns-the-republican-party/. Accessed 1 July 2018.
- Hallin, D. (2006). The Passing of the ‘High Modern’ of American Journalism Revisited. International Communication Association & American Political Science Association, 16(1), 1–2.Google Scholar
- Harris, K. (2019, January 27). Transcript: Kamala Harris Kicks Off Presidential Campaign in Oakland. Fox KTVU. http://www.ktvu.com/news/transcript-kamala-harris-kicks-off-presidential-campaign-in-oakland. Accessed 1 February 2019.
- Higgins, E. (2018, August 22). Meet the Most Insidious #Resistance Grifters. The Outline. https://theoutline.com/post/5973/meet-the-resistance-grifters?zd=1&zi=ffsznvf3. Accessed 12 October 2018.
- Hirst, M. (2017). Towards a Political Economy of Fake News. Political Economy of Communication, 5(2), 82–94.Google Scholar
- Jutel, O. (2013). American Populism and the New Political Economy of the Field. Political Economy of Communication, 1(1), 26–42.Google Scholar
- Jutel, O. (2017a). Donald Trump’s Libidinal Entanglement with Liberalism and Affective Media Power. Boundary2 Online. http://www.boundary2.org/2017/10/olivier-jutel-donald-trumps-libidinal-entanglement-with-liberalism-and-affective-media-power/#_edn5. Accessed 19 November 2018.
- Jutel, O. (2017b). Paranoia & Delusion: Liberalism’s Descent into Cold War Fantasies. Overland, 227, 3–9.Google Scholar
- Knight, C. (2016). Decoding Chomsky: Science and Revolutionary Politics. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Kosoff, M. (2018, October 17). Was the Media’s Big ‘Pivot to Video’ All Based on a Lie? Vanity Fair. https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/10/was-the-medias-big-pivot-to-video-all-based-on-a-lie. Accessed 27 November 2018.
- Laclau, E. (2005). On Populist Reason. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Lapowsky, I. (2018, August 15). Inside the Research Lab Teaching Facebook About its Trolls. Wired. https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-enlists-dfrlab-track-trolls/. Accessed 7 February 2019.
- Levine, J. (2018a, June 28). Ex-NY Times Chief Slams Paper for Failing to Cover Ocasio-Cortez: ‘Pisses Me Off’. The Wrap. https://www.thewrap.com/ex-nyt-chief-slams-paper-for-failure-to-cover-ocasio-cortez-kind-of-pisses-me-off/. Accessed 1 July 2018.
- Levine, Y. (2018b). Surveillance Valley. New York: Public Affairs.Google Scholar
- Martinez, A. (2018, February 23). How Trump Conquered Facebook Without Russian Ads. Wired. https://www.wired.com/story/how-trump-conquered-facebookwithout-russian-ads/. Accessed 21 January 2019.
- Mate, A. (2018, December 23). New Studies Show Pundits Are Wrong About Russian Social-Media Involvement in US Politics. The Nation. https://www.thenation.com/article/russiagate-elections-interference/. Accessed 14 February 2019.
- Melendez, S. (2018). RIP Fusion Tables: Google is Killing Off the Beloved Data Visualization Tool. Fast Company. https://www.fastcompany.com/90279779/rip-fusion-tables-google-is-killing-off-the-beloved-data-visualization-tool. Accessed 14 January 2019.
- Morozov, E. (2014). To Save Everything Click Here. New York: Public Affairs.Google Scholar
- Mouffe, C. (2005). On the Political. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Muhlman, G. (2008). A Political History of Journalism. Cambridge: Polity.Google Scholar
- New Knowledge. (2018, December 18). The Disinformation Report. https://www.newknowledge.com/articles/the-disinformation-report/. Accessed 14 February 2019.
- Roll, N. (2017, August 11). $147,000 for a One-Year Master’s? In Journalism? Inside Higher Ed. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/08/11/new-journalism-degree-columbia-150k-catch. Accessed 14 January 2019.
- Shane, S., & Blinder, A. (2018, December 19). Secret Experiment in Alabama Senate Race Imitated Russia Tactics. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/19/us/alabama-senate-roy-jones-russia.html. Accessed 14 February 2019.
- Super Deluxe. (2018, October 18). Donald Trump Is Finished. Super Deluxe Super Cuts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjUvfZj-Fm0. Accessed 11 November 2018.
- Suskind, R. (2004, October 17). Faith Certainty and the Presidency of George W. Bush. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/faith-certainty-and-the-presidency-of-george-w-bush.html. Accessed 7 December 2018.
- Taibbi, M. (2018, November 26). Who Will Fix Facebook? Rolling Stone. https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/who-will-fix-facebook-759916/. Accessed 7 February 2019.
- The New York Times. (2017, February 23). TV Commercial: The Truth is Hard. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY0Fdz350GE. Accessed 28 November 2018.
- Timberg, C. (2016, November 24). Russian Propaganda Effort Helped Spread ‘Fake News’ During Election, Experts Say. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/russian-propaganda-effort-helped-spread-fake-news-during-election-experts-say/2016/11/24/793903b6-8a40-4ca9-b712-716af66098fe_story.html?utm_term=.e576ec1cdcba. Accessed 9 February 2019.
- Trump, D. (2018, October 30). @realDonaldTrump. Twitter. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1056879122348195841. Accessed 28 November 2018.
- Vernon, P. (2018, August 27). Remembering John McCain and His Relationship with the Press. Columbia Journalism Review. https://www.cjr.org/the_media_today/john-mccain-and-the-press.php. Accessed 12 December 2018.
- Vox. (2014, March 17). Understand the News. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnhigbI4g4. Accessed 14 January 2019.
- Wolf, M. (2018). Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House. London: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- YAFTV. (2016). Lieutenant General Michael T. Flynn. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0CThXL37Jk. Accessed 12 March 2019.
- Žižek, S. (1997). The Plague of Fantasies. London: Verso.Google Scholar