Public Administration and Governance in the EU’s Eastern Neighbourhood Countries: Comparative Approach and Relevance for the European Neighbourhood Policy Effectiveness
Public administration and governance play a key role in ensuring socio-economic stability, growth, and resilience at national and local level. Assuming that there is “no single best approach” of public administration and governance systems, this chapter proposes a comparative study for the EU’s Eastern neighbourhood countries, highlighting the main characteristics of their administrative systems and governance practices and thus revealing their implications for the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) effectiveness. Based on our findings, we synthetize the main lessons and best practices that could have a highly normative relevance for policymaking. The value of this chapter rests on the comparative approach and proposed recommendations, useful for both the EU’s institutions and national authorities in analysed countries in order to strengthen their partnerships, regulatory frameworks, and public policies.
KeywordsPublic administration Governance Reform European Neighbourhood Policy Eastern Partnership (EaP)
- Agayev, R., Ibadoglu, G., Mehtiyev, A., & Aslanov. A. (2007). Strengthening Municipalities in Azerbaijan. Concept Paper. Retrieved December 14, 2018, from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/11869305.pdf.
- Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum. (2017). Eastern Partnership Index, 2017: Charting Progress in European Integration, Democratic Reforms and Sustainable Development. Retrieved January 15, 2019, from https://eap-csf.eu/eastern-partnership-index.
- European Commission. (2015). Review of the European Neighbourhood Policy. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from http://eeas.europa.eu/archives/docs/enp/documents/2015/151118_jointcommunication_review-of-the-enp_en.pdf.
- European Commission. (2016). Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe. A Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign And Security Policy. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://europa.eu/globalstrategy/sites/globalstrategy/files/regions/files/eugs_review_wb_0.pdf.
- European Commission. (2017a). A Strategic Approach to Resilience in the EU’s External Action. Retrieved November 7, 2018, from https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/join_2017_21_f1_communication_from_commission_to_inst_en_v7_p1_916039.pdf.
- European Commission. (2017b). Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament. Wider Europe – Neighbourhood: A New Framework for Relations with Our Eastern and Southern Neighbours. Retrieved from https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/swd_2017_300_f1_joint_staff_working_paper_en_v5_p1_940530.pdf.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2017c). Eastern Partnership – 20 Deliverables for 2020 Focusing on Key Priorities and Tangible Result. Retrieved December 2, 2018, from https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/sites/near/files/eap_20_deliverables_for_2020.pdf.
- Freedom House. (2019). Nations in Transit. Country Reports. Retrieved January 27, 2019, from https://freedomhouse.org/report/nations-transit/nations-transit-2018.
- International Monetary Fund. (2019). Fiscal Decentralization Dataset. Retrieved February 10, 2019, from http://data.imf.org/?sk=1C28EBFB-62B3-4B0C-AED3-048EEEBB684F.
- Krivorotko, Y. (2007). A Destiny of Local Finance in Belarus: Centralisation or Decentralisation? Paper presented at The 15-th NISPAcee Annual Conference “Leadership and Management in the Public Sector: Values, Standards and Competencies in Central and Eastern Europe”, Kiev, Ukraine. Retrieved November 8, 2018, from http://www.nispa.org/files/conferences/2007/papers/200706191440070.Paperkrivo rotko05062007.doc.
- Krivorotko, Y. (2015). Study. Finance Benchmarks: Areas and Options for Assessing Local Financial Resources and Financial Management in Belarus. Retrieved January 10, 2019, from https://rm.coe.int/1680687ebe.
- Mazol, A. (2015). Local Self-Governance in the Republic of Belarus (Free Policy Brief Series). Minsk: BEROC. Retrieved December 8, 2018, from http://eng.beroc.by/webroot/delivery/files/Local_self-governance.pdf.Google Scholar
- Onofrei, M. (2013). Sisteme administrative comparate (Comparative Administrative Systems). Bucharest: Tritonic Books.Google Scholar
- Onofrei, M., & Oprea, F. (2017). Fiscal Decentralisation and Self-Government Practices: Southern Versus Eastern Periphery of the European Union. In G. C. Pascariu & M. A. P. D. S. Duarte (Eds.), Core-Periphery Patterns Across the European Union (pp. 251–289). Bingley: Emerald Publishing.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oprea, F. (2011). Sisteme bugetare publice. Teorie şi practică (Public Budgeting Systems. Theory and Practice). Bucharest: Economica.Google Scholar
- Oprea, F. (2013). Managementul financiar al colectivităţilor locale (Financial Management of Local Collectivities). Bucharest: Tritonic Books.Google Scholar
- Statistical Committee of the Republic of Armenia. (2019). Retrieved February 4, 2019, from https://www.armstat.am/en/.
- Terzyan, A. (2017). The EU vs. Russia in the Foreign Policy Discourse of Armenia: The Fragility of Normative Power or the Power of Russian Coercion? Eastern Journal of European Studies, 8(2), 185–203.Google Scholar
- The Constitution of The Republic of Armenia. (1995). Retrieved December 2, 2018, from https://www.president.am/en/constitution-2015/.
- The Constitution of The Republic of Azerbaijan. (2016). Retrieved December 2, 2018, from https://en.president.az/azerbaijan/constitution.
- The Constitution of The Republic of Belarus. (2004). Retrieved December 4, 2018, from http://president.gov.by/en/constitution_en/.
- The Constitution of The Republic of Georgia. (2006). Retrieved December 4, 2018, from http://www.parliament.ge/files/68_1944_951190_CONSTIT_27_12.06.pdf.
- The Constitution of The Republic of Moldova. (2016). Retrieved December 6, 2018, from http://www.presedinte.md/eng/constitution.
- World Bank. (2018). Worldwide Governance Indicators. Retrieved January 4, 2019, from http://info.worldbank.org/governance/wgi/index.aspx#home.
- World Bank. (2019). Open Budgets Portal. Retrieved January 15, 2019, from http://boost.worldbank.org/.