The participation of children in the decision-making processes at home and in the public spheres in small island developing states is examined. The change from “complete voicelessness” over the decades to “limited voiceness” is traced, and the international, regional and local impulses which influenced this change are analysed.
With an enhancement of Roger Hart’s 1992 ladder of participation, the author examines to what extent children are allowed to “voice” their opinions is aligned to the societal perceptions of “children” and “childhood” through the years. The discussion on children’s “voiceness” is interrogated through the secondary and primary data collected for this study on endangered childhood in small island developing states.
KeywordsChild participation Models of participation
- Chawla, L. (2001). Evaluating children’s participation: Seeking areas of consensus. PLA Notes, 42(October), 9–13.Google Scholar
- Child Development Agency. (2004). Child Care and Protection Act, 2004: Implementation handbook for professionals, p. 36.Google Scholar
- Child Rights Connect. (2014). State party examination of Saint Lucia’s second to fourth periodic report 66th session of the committee on the rights of the child 26 May–13 June 2014. Retrieved December 18, 2018, from http://www.childrightsconnect.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/St.-Lucia_Session-Report_St.-Lucia_FINAL.pdf.
- Child Rights Connect. (2015). State party examination of Jamaica’s third and fourth periodic report 68th session of the committee on the rights of the child 12 January–30 January 2015. Retrieved December 18, 2018, from http://www.childrightsconnect.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Jamaica_Session-Report_CRC.pdf.
- Committee on the Rights of the Child. (2002). Consideration of reports submitted by States parties under article 44 of the Convention Initial reports of States parties due in 1997 Haiti. Retrieved December 18, 2018, from http://tbinternet.ohchr.org/_layouts/treatybodyexternal/Download.aspx?symbolno=CRC%2fC%2f51%2fAdd.7&Lang=en.
- Committee on the Rights of the Child. (2013). Consideration of reports submitted by States parties under article 44 of the convention third and fourth periodic reports of States parties due in 2008 Jamaica. Retrieved December 18, 2018, from http://tbinternet.ohchr.org/_layouts/TreatyBodyExternal/Countries.aspx?CountryCode=JAM&Lang=EN.
- Committee on the Rights of the Child. (2014). Consideration of reports submitted by states parties under article 44 of the convention second periodic reports of states parties due in 1997 Barbados. Retrieved December 18, 2018, from http://tbinternet.ohchr.org/_layouts/TreatyBodyExternal/Countries.aspx?CountryCode=BRB&Lang=EN.
- Daily Gleaner. (2009, April 28). Gas riot in retrospect. Retrieved January 5, 2016, from http://jamaica-gleaner.com/power/8486.
- Davies, T. (2011). Rethinking responses to children and young people’s online lives. Retrieved December 15, 2018, from http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/EUKidsOnline/Conference%202011/Davies.pdf.
- DFID-CSO Youth Working Group. (2010). Youth participation in development: A tool for development. Agencies and Policy Makers. Retrieved May2, 2019, from https://youtheconomicopportunities.org/sites/default/files/uploads/resource/6962_Youth_Participation_in_Development.pdf.
- Dunn, L. (2001). Meeting the development and participation rights of in Jamaica: A joint UNFPA/UNICEF project. Technical Report.Google Scholar
- Fung, A. (2004). Empowered participation: Reinventing urban democracy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Girvan, N. (Ed.). (1993). Working together for development: DTM Girvan on cooperatives and community development 1939–1968. Kingston: Institute of Jamaica.Google Scholar
- Gordon, L. (2015). Child participation in Jamaica: Cultural reality versus idealism. In special issues on children-reflections on adherence to child rights in the Caribbean. Social and Economic Studies, 64(1): 49–74.Google Scholar
- Hart, R. (1992). Children’s participation from tokenism to citizenship. Essay for UNICEF. Innocenti Essay No. 4.Google Scholar
- Hart, R. (2008). “Stepping back from ‘The ladder’”: Reflections on a model of participatory work with children (pp. 19–31). Netherlands: Springer.Google Scholar
- Hodgson, D. (1995). Participation of children and young people in social work. UNICEF.Google Scholar
- Malone, K., & Hartung, C. (2010). Challenges of participatory practice with children. InA handbook of children and young people’s participation: Perspectives from theory and practice (pp. 24–38). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Martin, P. (2010). E-participation at the local level: The path to collaborative democracy. Retrieved May 5, 2019, from https://www.ippr.org/files/images/media/files/publication/2011/05/e_participation_in_local_government_1258.pdf.
- McFadden, D. (2015, January 11). Haiti’s anti-government’s protests heat up. Huffington Post. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/11/haiti-government protests_n_6451224.html.
- Moncrieffe, J. (2010). Situation of the promotion and protection of Rights of children and adolescents in Jamaica. Report prepared for the organization of American States (Technical Report not available online).Google Scholar
- Moncrieffe, J. (2015). Caribbean child research conference: Summary of policy and strategy recommendations. Kingston: Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social and Economic Studies.Google Scholar
- Office of the Children’s Advocate and UNICEF. (2009/2010). Jamaican children: Twenty years after the convention on the rights of the child. Retrieved November 25, 2015, from http://www.unicef.org/jamaica/CRC20_in_Jamaica.pdf.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). (2001). Citizens as partners—Information, consultation and public participation in the policy making. Retrieved April 27, 2019, from https://www.internationalbudget.org/wp-content/uploads/Citizens-as-Partners-OECD-Handbook.pdf.
- Parr, J. (1999). In reviving democracy: Citizens at the heart of governance. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Percy-Smith, B., & Thomas, N. (Eds.). (2009). A handbook of children and young people’s participation: Perspectives from theory and practice. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Save the Children Sweden. (2008). Participation is a virtue that must be cultivated. An analysis of children’s participation working methods and materials within Save the Children Sweden. Retrieved January 4, 2016, from http://www.hapinternational.org/pool/files/10121-participationisavirtue.pdf.
- Treseder, P. (1997). Empowering children and young people: Promoting involvement in decision-making. Retrieved from Amazon.co.uk.
- Tritter, J. Q., & McCallum, A. (2006). The snakes and ladders of user involvement: Moving beyond Arnstein. Health Policy, 76(2): 156–168. E-Journals, EBSCOhost.Google Scholar
- UNICEF. (2001). Promoting children’s participation in democratic decision-making. Retrieved October 20, 2015, from https://www.unicef.org/publications/files/pub_sowc03_en.pdf.
- UNICEF. (2002). The state of the world’s children 2003. New York: UNICEF. Retrieved January 4, 2016, from https://www.unicef.org/sowc03/contents/pdf/SOWCO3-eng.pdf.
- UNICEF. (2009). Situation analysis of children and their families in the Eastern Caribbean. Retrieved October 16, 2015, from http://www.unicef.org/easterncaribbean/SITAN_Bdos.pdf.
- UNICEF. (2012a). In Malaysia, celebrating every child’s right to participation. Retrieved November 25, 2015, from http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/malaysia_66403.html.
- UNICEF. (2012b). Children of Haiti: Two years after. What is changing? Who is making the change? Retrieved November 25, 2015, from http://www.unicef.org/lac/Haiti_2yearsReport.pdf.
- UNICEF. (2017). UNICEF Annual Report 2017—Haiti. Retrieved April 18, 2019, from https://www.unicef.org/about/annualreport/files/Haiti_2017_COAR.pdf.
- United Nations Youth. (2013). Youth, political participation and decision-making. Retrieved October 20, 2015, from http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/documents/youth/fact-sheets/youth-political-participation.pdf.
- Upadhyay, J., Judith, E., Daniel, C., Henk, B., Joachim, T., Manuel, F., … Laurence, G. (2008). Children as active citizens: A policy programme guide. Bangkok: Inter-Agency Working Group on Children’s Participation.Google Scholar