Our Commitments to the Children of the World
The chapter reviews international and regional commitments made to children. These commitments include the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the Millennium Development Goals and the Sustainable Development Goals. These are critiqued and the chapter ends with an examination of some of the main legislative reforms made since the ratification of the CRC in Barbados, Jamaica, Haiti and St. Lucia.
KeywordsCRC MDGs SDGs
- Bruno, S. (n.d.). The issue of children, adolescents and family at summit meetings. Retrieved January 12, 2019, from http://iin.oea.org/DECLARACIONES/Cumbres%20e%20Infancia%20-%20Ingles.htm.
- CARICOM Commission on Youth Development (CCYD). (2010). Eye on the future-investing in youth now for tomorrow’s community. Report of the CARICOM Commission on Youth Development January 2010. Retrieved March 15, 2018, from http://www.youthjamaica.com/sites/default/files/CCYD%20Report.pdf.
- CARICOM Secretariat. (2002). Communique issued at conclusion of sixth meeting of the Council for Human and Social Development (COHSOD), April 17–19, 2002, Georgetown, Guyana. Retrieved October 24, 2018, from https://caricom.org/communications/view/communique-issued-at-conclusion-of-sixth-meeting-of-the-council-for-human-and-social-development-cohsod-17-19-april-2002-georgetown-guyana.
- Government of Barbados. (2015). Report to the International Committee on the Rights of the Child, May 2015.Google Scholar
- Government of Jamaica. (2015). Report to the International Committee on the Rights of the Child, March 2015.Google Scholar
- Humanium. (2015). Criticisms of children’s rights. Retrieved March 23, 2019, from http://www.humanium.org/en/criticisms-of-childrens-rights/.
- International Council for Science. (2015). Review of targets for the Sustainable Development Goals: The science perspective. Retrieved March 23, 2019, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272355248_Review_of_Targets_for_The_Sustainable_Development_Goals_The_Science_Perspective.
- Khoo, S. M. (2005). The Millennium Development Goals: A critical discussion. Trocaire Development Review, 2005, 43–56.Google Scholar
- Melamed, C., & Scott, L. (2011). After 2015: Progress and challenges for development. Overseas Development Institute 2011. ISSN 1756-7610. Retrieved February 20, 2018, from http://www.odi.org/sites/odi.org.uk/files/odi-assets/publications-opinion-files/7061.pdf.
- United Nations. (2012). Review of the contributions of the MDG Agenda to foster development: Lessons for the post-2015 UN development agenda. Retrieved January 15, 2018, from http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/mdg_assessment_Aug.pdf.
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). (2014). 20 years after the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Retrieved January 15, 2018, from https://www.unicef.org/jamaica/CRC20_in_Jamaica.pdf.
- United Nations Development Programme. (2017). Financing the SDGs in the Pacific Islands—Opportunities, challenges and the ways forward. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from https://www.unescap.org/sites/default/files/Financing%20the%20SDGs%20in%20the%20Pacific%20Islands%2D%2DOpportunities,%20Challenges%20and%20Ways%20Forward%20(2).pdf.