Other TMJ Imaging Modalities
Many diagnostic imaging techniques—with and without ionizing radiations—such as panoramic radiography, plain radiographs, tomography, computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), have been proposed for the assessment of TMJ pathologies.
- Dong Y, He S, Zhu L, Dong TY, Pan SS, Tang LJ, Zhu ZF. The diagnostic value of high resolution ultrasonography for the detection of anterior disc displacement of the temporomandibular joint: a meta-analysis employing the HSROC statistical model. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;44:852–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hashimoto K, Arai Y, Iwai K, Araki M, Kawashima S, Terakado M. A comparison of a new limited cone beam computed tomography machine for dental use with a multidetector row helical CT machine. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2003;95:371–7. https://doi.org/10.1067/moe.2003.120.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hashimoto K, Kawashima S, Kameoka S, Akiyama Y, Honjoya T, Ejima KI, Sawada K. Comparison of image validity between cone beam computed tomography for dental use and multidetector row helical computed tomography. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2007;36:465–71. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/22818643.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Holdroyd JR, Gulson AD. The radiation protection implication of the use of cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) in dentistry - what you need to know. Oxfordshire: Health Protection Agency; 2009. Available at www.bsdmfr.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/hpaguidance.pdf.Google Scholar
- Honda K, Larheim TA, Maruhashi K, Matsumoto K, Iwai K. Osseous abnormalities of the mandibular condyle: diagnostic reliability of cone beam computed tomography compared with helical computed tomography based on an autopsy material. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2006;35:152–7. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/15831361.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Honey BO, Scarfe WC, Hilgers MJ, Klueber K, Silveira A, Haskell B, Farman A. Accuracy of cone-beam computed tomography imaging of the temporomandibular joint: comparisons with panoramic radiology and linear tomography. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2007;132:429–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2005.10.032.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kadesjö N, Benchimol D, Falahat B, Näsström K, Shi XQ. Evaluation of the effective dose of cone beam CT and multislice CT for temporomandibular joint examinations at optimized exposure levels. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2015;44:20150041. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr.20150041.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Radiation protection: Cone Beam CT for Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology - Evidence Based Guidelines. Energy Protection Radiation n. 172. Directorate General for Energy, Unit D4-Radiation Protection. Euratom, Seventh Framework. Luxembourg: European Commission. 2011; ISSN 1681-6803. Available at http://www.sedentexct.eu/content/guidelines-cbct-dental-and-maxillofacial-radiology.htm.