Eye Banking: History and Future Direction
This chapter explores the history of eye banking, from the first corneal transplant performed by Dr. Eduard Zirm to innovative advancements in the field. The growth of eye banking can be traced to regulations surrounding organ harvesting for transplantation and standardization of eye banking protocols via the Eye Bank Association of America. Additionally, the role of eye banks has evolved significantly through the development of lamellar keratoplasty including DMEK and DSAEK, which has also contributed to the surge in corneal transplantation. In this chapter, we discuss the evolving landscape of eye banking, along with changes in how grafts are prepared for transplantation. This chapter also discusses the future of eye banking, including how new technologies such as engineered grafts and injectable corneal endothelial cells may further change eye banks and their role in processing of tissue for corneal transplantation.
KeywordsCornea Corneal transplantation Eye bank DSAEK DMEK EBAA
- 4.EBAA statistical report, 2017.Google Scholar
- 6.Aiken-O’Neill P, Mannis MJ. The evolution of eye banking in the United States: landmarks in the history of the Eye Bank Association of America. Int J Eye Bank. 2012;1(1)Google Scholar
- 10.EBAA Medical Standards, 2019.Google Scholar
- 11.Site Inspection Questionnaire.Google Scholar
- 14.Rosenwasser GO, Szczotka-Flynn LB, Ayala AR, et al. Effect of cornea preservation time on success of Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135(12):1401–9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.4989.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Lass J, Benetz BA, Verdier DD, et al. Corneal endothelial cell loss 3 years after successful Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty in the cornea preservation time study: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135(12):1394–400. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.4970.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Melles GRJ, Ong TS, Ververs B, van der Wees J. Descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty (DMEK). Cornea. 2006;25(8):987–90. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ico.0000248385.16896.34.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Global survey of corneal transplantation and eye banking.Google Scholar
- 28.Lambert NG, Chamberlain WD. The structure and evolution of eye banking: a review on eye banks’ historical, present, and future contribution to corneal transplantation. J Biorepository Sci Appl Med. 5:23. https://doi.org/10.2147/BSAM.S114197.