Standardizing Surgical Education: Implications for Quality of Care
Surgical education in the USA has dramatically improved over the last century in large part due to the standardization of surgical training that was instituted after the Flexner Report and the formation of regulatory organizations in surgery such as the American Board of Surgery (ABS) and the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). In the era of the 80-h resident work week, it is more imperative than ever those surgical training programs implement standardized and validated curricula that can adequately train and assess residents and fellows for their future roles as independent surgeons. This chapter will discuss the development of the standardized curriculum required of all trainees who are board certified in general surgery as well as the bariatric surgery fellowship curriculum and will outline their implications on quality of care in the field of bariatric surgery.
KeywordsCompetency-based medical education (CBME) Entrustable professional activity (EPA) Surgical education Curriculum General surgery residency Standardization Bariatric surgery Fellowship ASMBS SAGES ABS Fellowship council
- 1.Flexner A, Pritchet H, Henry S. Medical education in the United States and Canada bulletin number four (the Flexner report). New York: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching; 1910.Google Scholar
- 6.Absurgery.org. About Us | American Board of Surgery. [online]. 2018. Available at: http://www.absurgery.org/default.jsp?abouthome. Accessed 25 Mar 2018.
- 7.Surgicalcore.org. SCORE | About SCORE. [online]. 2018. Available at: http://www.surgicalcore.org/public/aboutscore. Accessed 25 Mar 2018.
- 8.Absurgery.org. [online] .2018. Available at: http://www.absurgery.org/xfer/BookletofInfo-Surgery.pdf .Accessed 25 Mar 2018.
- 9.Absurgery.org. FAQs – New Assessment | American Board of Surgery. [online] 2018. Available at: http://www.absurgery.org/default.jsp?cc_faqs. Accessed 25 Mar 2018.
- 15.The Fellowship Council and The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Advanced GI surgery curriculum for bariatric surgery fellowship: 10.04.07 [cited 2018 Mar 23]. Available from: https://fellowshipcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Bariatric-Surgery.pdf.
- 17.Mattar SG, Alseidi AA, Jones DB, Jeyarajah DR, Swanstrom LL, Aye RW, Wexner SD, Martinez JM, Ross SB, Awad MM, Franklin ME. General surgery residency inadequately prepares trainees for fellowship: results of a survey of fellowship program directors. Ann Surg. 2013;258(3):440–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar