Headache Disorders and the World Health Organization
Our understanding of headache-attributed burden (described in Chap. 4) comes in the main from formal epidemiological studies. This chapter reports a complementary global enquiry by the World Health Organization and Lifting The Burden, not only into the impact of headache in countries around the world but also into how, if at all, healthcare systems in these countries were responding to headache. Depressingly, the enquiry found worldwide neglect of major causes of public ill health, and inadequate responses to them everywhere.
KeywordsHeadache disorders Impact Awareness Health policy Public health Education World Health Organization Global Campaign against Headache
- 1.World Health Organization. World health report 2001. Geneva: WHO; 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.Vos T, Abajobir AA, Abate KH, Abbafati C, Abbas KM, Abd-Allah F, Abdulkader RS, Abdulle AM, Abebo TA, Abera SF, Aboyans V, Abu-Raddad LJ, Ackerman IN, Adamu AA, Adetokunboh O, Afarideh M, Afshin A, Agarwal SK, Aggarwal R, Agrawal A, Agrawal S, Ahmadieh H, Ahmed MB, Aichour MTE, Aichour AN, Aichour I, Aiyar S, Akinyemi RO, Akseer N, Al Lami FH, Alahdab F, Al-Aly Z, Alam K, Alam N, Alam T, et al. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 328 diseases and injuries for 195 countries, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2016. Lancet. 2017;390:1211–59.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.GBD 2017 Disease and Injury Incidence and Prevalence Collaborators. Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Lancet. 2018;392:1789–858.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.World Health Organization. Headache disorders and public health. Education and management implications. Geneva: WHO (WHO/MSD/MBD/00.9); 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Lifting The Burden. The Global Campaign against Headache. http://www.l-t-b.org.
- 11.Stovner LJ, Hagen K, Jensen R, Katsarava Z, Lipton R, Scher A, Steiner TJ, Zwart JA. The global burden of headache: a documentation of headache prevalence and disability worldwide. Cephalalgia. 2007;27:193–210.Google Scholar
- 12.World Health Organization, Lifting The Burden. Atlas of headache disorders and resources in the world 2011. Geneva: WHO; 2011.Google Scholar
- 16.Steiner TJ, Antonaci F, Jensen R, Lainez JMA, Lantéri-Minet M, Valade D on behalf of the European Headache Federation and Lifting The Burden: the Global Campaign against Headache. Recommendations for headache service organisation and delivery in Europe. J Headache Pain. 2001;12:419–26.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.International Headache Society Classification Subcommittee. The international classification of headache disorders, 2nd edition. Cephalalgia. 2004;24(suppl 1):1–160.Google Scholar