In this chapter, I summarize my research to now and where this has led me on my journey from practitioner to researcher. I also look at what the future might hold for me and for filmmaking researchers in general. I discuss my interest in family photos and social media, and the agency platforms such as Facebook are having in curating people’s memories. In particular, I will be looking into the way people are curating their family photos and the future of the photo album. Filmmaking researchers face ongoing challenges in a research world that is increasingly economically driven and demanding of impact outcomes. This poses challenges for filmmaking researchers. I suggest that a way forward is for such researchers to work collectively to create a critical mass as is made possible through such initiatives as offered “Screenworks” and “Sightlines.”
- Australian Government. Strengthening Public Confidence in University Research Funding. Australia: Australian Government, 2018.Google Scholar
- Bekley, Leo. Sightlines. Melbourne, Australia: RMIT University, 2017. Available at http://www.aspera.org.au/research/sightlines/journal-2017/. Accessed April 1, 2019.
- Charleson, D. Remixed Memories. Melbourne, Australia: RMIT University, 2017. Available at http://www.aspera.org.au/research/remixed-memories/. Accessed April 4, 2019.
- Gondry, Michael. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. USA: Focus Features, 2004.Google Scholar
- Screenworks. Screenworks. University of the West of England, Bristol: Digital Cultures Research Centre, 2019. Available at http://screenworks.org.uk/. Accessed April 1, 2019.
- The Hon Dan Tehan MP, Minister for Education. Strengthening Public Confidence in University Research Funding, 2018. Australia: Australian Government. Available at https://www.arc.gov.au/news-publications/media/media-releases/strengthening-public-confidence-university-research-funding. Accessed April 1, 2019.
- Wilson, J. Artists in the University: Positioning Artistic Research in Higher Education. Singapore: Springer, 2018.Google Scholar