Euroscepticism in Times of European Crises: The Role of Solidarity
During the recent decade, European solidarity has been on everyone’s lips. However, to date, no study has captured the multiple facets of European solidarity and its effect on EU critical attitudes in times of the European financial and migrant crises. To fill the above-mentioned research gap, this chapter differentiates between the support for value-based European solidarity and transnational solidarity actions. I tested this using Eurobarometer waves ascertained from 2009 to 2015. The results show that solidarity does indeed affect attitudinal Euroscepticism. However, solidarity as a value has a more volatile effect on EU critical sentiments compared to the endorsement of solidarity actions. European citizens more likely oppose European integration once it comes along with cross-country burden sharing.
KeywordsSolidarity Euroscepticism European integration Euro crisis European migrant crisis
- Bendiek, A., & Neyer, J. (2016). Europäische Solidarität: die Flüchtlingskrise als Realitätstest. SWP-Aktuell, 20. Berlin: Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik -SWP- Deutsches Institut für Internationale Politik und Sicherheit. http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:0168-ssoar-46541-3.
- Communication Department of the European Commission. (2018). The Schuman Declaration. May 9, 1950 from https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/symbols/europe-day/schuman-declaration_en.
- European Commission. (2018). EU financial Assistance. https://ec.europa.eu/info/business-economy-euro/economic-and-fiscal-policy-coordination/eu-financial-assistance_en.
- European Commission. (2011). European Commission Green Paper on the feasibility of introducing stability bonds. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-11-820_en.htm.
- European Council. (2011). The economic and political challenges for Europe, Speech by President Herman Van Rompuy at the opening of the Academic Year 2011–2012, European University Institute. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_PRES-11-425_en.htm.
- Ferrera, M., & Burelli, C. (2019). Cross-national solidarity and political sustainability in the EU after the crisis. JCMS Journal of Common Market Studies, forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Genschel, P., & Hemerijck, A. (2018). Solidarity in Europe. European University Institute, School of Transnational Governance, Policy Brief, May 2018.Google Scholar
- Giannopoulou. A. (2016). Main points of Alexis Tsipras speech at the Conference Alliance against austerity—for democracy in Europe. Transform! Europe. https://www.transform-network.net/en/focus/overview/article/strategic-perspectives-of-the-european-left/alliance-for-democracy-and-against-austerity-in-europe/.
- Hobolt, S. B. (2015). The 2014 European Parliament Elections: Divided in Unity. The JCMS Annual Review of the European Union in 2014, 53(1), 6–21.Google Scholar
- Knodt, M., & Tews, A. (2014). Einleitung: Solidarität im Europäischen Mehrebenensystem. In M. Knodt & A. Tews (Eds.), Solidarität in der EU (pp. 7–18). Baden-Baden: Nomos.Google Scholar
- Kontochistou, M., & Mascha, E. (2014). The Euro crisis and the question of solidarity in the European Union: Disclosures and manifestations in the European Press. Review of European Studies, 6(2), 50–62.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, T., Solaz, H., & Van Elsas, E. (2017). Practising what you preach: How cosmopolitanism promotes willingness to redistribute across the European Union. Journal of European Public Policy.Google Scholar
- Lahusen, C. (2016). Transnational solidarity within the European Union: Towards a framework of analysis. Paper presented at the 8th Pan-European Conference on the European Union, The Union’s Institutional and Constitutional Transformations: Stress or Adaptation? Trento, June 15–18, 2016.Google Scholar
- Langford, L. M. (2013). The other Euro crisis: Rights violations under the common European Asylum System and the Unraveling of EU Solidarity. Harvard Human Rights Journal, 26, 217–264.Google Scholar
- Nicoli, F., & Zeitlin, J. (Eds.) (2019). Europe beyond the polycrsis? Politicization and integration in the age of shifting cleavages. Special Issue for the Journal of European Public Policy (JEPP), scheduled to appear in Q1/2019.Google Scholar
- Radu, L., Negrea-Busuioc, E., & Bârgãoanu, A. (2014). The rise of Euroscepticism in times of crisis. Evidence from the 2008–2013 Eurobarometers. Romanian Journal of Communication and Public Relations, 16(1), 9–23.Google Scholar
- Sangiovanni, A. (2013). Solidarity in the European Union. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies, pp. 1–29.Google Scholar
- Stjernø, S. (2004). Solidarity in Europe: The history of an idea. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Taggart, P. (1998). A touchstone of dissent: Euroscepticism in contemporary Western European Party Systems. European Journal of Political Research, 33(3), 363–388.Google Scholar
- Verhaegen, S. (2017). What to expect from European identity? Explaining support for solidarity in times of crisis. Comparative European Politics, pp. 1–34.Google Scholar