Cardiac catheterization is a general term for a group of procedures that are performed for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. Coronary angiography and right heart catheterization are the main diagnostic procedures and are going to be covered in detail in the present chapter. Right heart catheterization is used for the management of critically ill patients, for the evaluation of various underlying cardiac diseases and in an elective setting, is the cornerstone for the diagnosis and follow up of pulmonary artery hypertension.
KeywordsCardiac catheterization Coronary angiography Coronary angioplasty Coronary artery disease Right heart catheterization
- 1.Bertrand ME, Meier B. A history of cardiac catheterization. The PCR-EAPCI Textbook. Available at https://www.pcronline.com/eurointervention/textbook/pcr-textbook/.
- 4.Lozner EC, Johnson LW, Johnson S, Krone R, Pichard AD, Vetrovec GW, et al. Coronary arteriography 1984–1987: a report of the registry of the society for cardiac angiography and interventions. II. An analysis of 218 deaths related to coronary arteriography. Catheter Cardiovasc Diagn. 1989;17:11–4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ibanez B, James S, Agewall S, Antunes MJ, Bucciarelli-Ducci C, Bueno H, et al. 2017 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation: The Task Force for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2018;39:119–77.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Neumann FJ, Sousa-Uva M, Ahlsson A, Alfonso F, Banning AP, Benedetto U, et al. 2018 ESC/EACTS Guidelines on myocardial revascularization. Eur Heart J. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehy394. [Epub ahead of print].
- 17.Heyndrickx GR, Peace AJ, Girasis C, Naber CK, Bourantas CV, Serruys PW. Invasive diagnostic coronary angiography. The PCREAPCI Textbook. Available at https://www.pcronline.com/eurointervention/textbook/pcr-textbook/.
- 18.Saleem T, Baril DT. Vascular access closure devices. Copyright © 2018: Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing LLC; 2019.Google Scholar
- 21.Ryan TJ, Faxon DP, Gunnar RM, Kennedy JW, King SB 3rd, Loop FD, et al. Guidelines for percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty. A report of the American college of cardiology/American heart association task force on assessment of diagnostic and therapeutic cardiovascular procedures (subcommittee on percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty). Circulation. 1988;78:486–502.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Farooq V, van Klaveren D, Steyerberg EW, Meliga E, Vergouwe Y, Chieffo A, et al. Anatomical and clinical characteristics to guide decision making between coronary artery bypass surgery and percutaneous coronary intervention for individual patients: development and validation of SYNTAX score II. Lancet. 2013;381:639–50.CrossRefGoogle Scholar