The “patients’ perspective” plays a very important role in the diagnosis and especially the management of not just Behçet syndrome but any condition. A good working relationship with a patient not only helps to personalize the treatment for each unique patient’s needs, it also helps patients understand their disease and the reasons for various treatment decisions, and importantly, once these are achieved, it improves compliance with the management plan, a potentially major issue in any chronic condition.
KeywordsPatient’s perspective Delay in diagnosis Treatment Compliance Patient organizations
- 1.Ohno S. A report on the first international convention for patients with silk road disease (Behçet’s disease). BD News. 2001;2(1):8. http://www.behcetdiseasesociety.org/behcetwsData/Document/1662014135548-v21.pdf. Accessed 5 Mar 2019.Google Scholar
- 2.Dates and locations of International Patient Conferences up to the present are as follows: 2000: Seoul, Korea; 2002: Berlin, Germany; 2004: Antalya, Turkey; 2006: Lisbon, Portugal; 2008: Poertschach, Austria; 2010: London, UK; 2012: Yokohama, Japan; 2014: Paris, France; 2016: Matera, Italy; 2018: Rotterdam, Holland.Google Scholar
- 3.Zeis J. Behçet’s disease. Dulles, VA: Mercury Learning and Information; 2014.Google Scholar
- 4.Zeis J. Essential guide to Behçet’s disease. Uxbridge, MA: Central Vision Press; 2006.Google Scholar
- 5.Zeis J. You are not alone: 15 people with Behçet’s. Mass: Joanne Zies; 1997.Google Scholar