This chapter discusses basic principles for an ongoing care relationship with adult LGBTQ patients. Adult primary care encompasses a vast array of topics. In this chapter, the following areas will be discussed: the role of the primary care provider with an emphasis on advocacy; provision of counseling and patient education for common health concerns of LGBTQ people; guidelines for gathering a clinical history and performing a physical exam; and issues regarding the context of health care delivery. Special issues about caring for LGBTQ elders are also discussed.
KeywordsPrimary care LGBT elders Patient advocacy End of life Shared decision making Collaborative care LGBT cancer disparities Advance directives Cardiovascular disease LGBT health
- 42 CFR 482.13- Condition of Participation: Patient’s Rights. US Government Printing Office Website. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title42-vol5/pdf/CFR-2011-title42-vol5-sec482-13.pdf. Accessed 22 Aug 2014.
- HPV Vaccine recommendations. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/hpv/hcp/recommendations.html. Accessed 23 Jan 2019.
- Ensign J. Health care for the homeless: a vision of health for all. National Healthcare for the Homeless Council. https://www.nhchc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/pioneers-session-report-finalized.pdf Published 2016. Accessed 23 Jan 2019. Feldman MB, Meyer IH. Eating disorders in diverse lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations. Int J Eat Disord 2007; 40(3): 218–226.
- Gates GJ. Same-sex couples in US census 2010: race and ethnicity. The Williams Institute. https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Gates-CouplesRaceEthnicity-April-2012.pdf. Published 2012. Accessed 23 Jan 2019.
- Gen Silent. https://www.theclowdergroup.com/gensilent. Accessed 22 Aug 2014.
- Health Equity Index. Human rights campaign. https://www.hrc.org/hei. Accessed 23 Jan 2019.
- Lastdrag.org. http://www.lastdrag.org/. Accessed 22 Aug 2014.
- National LGBT Cancer Network. http://www.cancer-network.org/. Accessed 22 Aug 2014.
- Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule, by Vaccine and Age Group. CDC Web site http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult.html. Accessed 20 Aug 2014.
- SAGE website. http://sageusa.org/. Accessed 22 Aug 2014.
- Simone-Skidmore M. LGBT Aging: addressing disparities and healthcare needs. The National LGBT Health Education Center. http://www.lgbthealtheducation.org/wp-content/uploads/LGBT-Aging-Addressing-Disparities-and-Health-Care-Needs.pdf. Accessed 22 Jan 2019.
- Top Ten Issues to Discuss with your Health care Provider. GLMA Web site http://www.glma.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.viewPage&pageId=947&grandparentID=534&parentID=938&nodeID=1. Accessed 1 Aug 2014.
- United States Preventive Services Task Force Website. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/. Accessed 22 Aug 2014.
- Wallace SP, Cochran SD, Durazo EM, Ford CL. The health of aging lesbian, gay and bisexual adults in California. Policy Brief UCLA Cent Health Policy Res. 2011;1:1–8.Google Scholar
- Wandrey RL, Qualls WD, Mosack KE. Rejection of breast reconstruction among lesbian cancer patients. LGBT Health 2015;3(1):74–8.Google Scholar
- Ward BW, Dahlhamer JM, Galinsky AM, Joestl SS. Sexual orientation and health among U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2013. In: National health statistics reports; no. 77. Hyattsville: National Center for Health Statistics; 2014.Google Scholar
- Women’s Health Initiative. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/whi/. Accessed 22 Aug 2014.
- Zwarenstein M, Goldman J, Reeves S. Interprofessional collaboration: effects of practice-based interventions on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane.Google Scholar