LGBTQ populations worldwide experience disparities and inequities in health and in health care. In the United States, the landscape of LGBTQ health disparities and inequities has evolved from the early history of LGBTQ persons in society (before LGBTQ identity categories existed as such) to the present day. In this chapter we will review the historical roots of disparities, identify disparities, and discuss how to provide a better standard of care for LGBTQ patients.
KeywordsLGBT health disparities Social determinants of health Health care access Health care policy LGBT rights
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in Internal Medicine. September 16, 2008. http://www.acgme.org/portals/0/pfassets/programrequirements/140_internal_medicine_2016.pdf. Accessed 05 Apr 2017.
- Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-Centered Care for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Community: A Field Guide. Oak Brook, IL: The Joint Commission; 2011. http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/LGBTFieldGuide.pdf. Accessed 05 Apr 2017.
- American Association of Medical Colleges. Implementing curricular and institutional climate changes to improve health care for individuals who are LGBT, gender nonconforming, or born with DSD: a resource for medical educators. Washington DC: AAMC; 2014. https://www.aamc.org/download/414172/data/lgbt.pdf. Accessed 05 Apr 2017.Google Scholar
- Bayer R. Homosexuality and American psychiatry: the politics of diagnosis. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press; 1987.Google Scholar
- Center for American Progress. Discrimination prevents LGBTQ people from accessing health care. https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/lgbt/news/2018/01/18/445130/discrimination-prevents-lgbtq-people-accessing-health-care/. Posted January 18, 2018. Accessed 02 Dec 2018.
- du Mas FM. Gay is not good. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers; 1979.Google Scholar
- Gates GJ. In U.S., LGBT more likely than non-LGBT to be uninsured. Washington, DC: Gallup; 2014. http://www.gallup.com/poll/175445/lgbt-likely-non-lgbt-uninsured.aspx. Accessed 05 Apr 2017.Google Scholar
- Grant JM, Koskovich G, Somjen Frazer M, Bjerk S, Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders. Outing age 2010: public policy issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender elders. Washington, DC: National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Policy Institute; 2010. http://www.thetaskforce.org/downloads/reports/reports/outingage_final.pdf. Accessed 05 Apr 2017.Google Scholar
- Healthy People 2020. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2013. Accessed 17 Mar 2014. http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/overview.aspx?topicid=25.Google Scholar
- Healthy People 2020. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. Washington, DC: Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Accessed 06 Mar 2014. http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/overview.aspx?topicid=25#one.
- Improving Data Collection for the LGBT Community. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services. http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/assets/pdf/checked/1/Fact_Sheet_LGBT.pdf. Accessed 14 Sept 2014.
- Institute of Medicine. The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: building a Foundation for Better Understanding. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2011.Google Scholar
- Kaiser Family Foundation. The affordable care act and insurance coverage changes by sexual orientation. https://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/issue-brief/the-affordable-care-act-and-insurance-coverage-changes-by-sexual-orientation/. Published May 2018. Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Kann L, McManus T, Harris WA, et al. Youth risk behavior surveillance - United States, 2017. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2018;67:1–114. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/ss/pdfs/ss6708a1-h.pdf. Accessed 02 Dec 2018.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kinsey A, Pomeroy W, Martin C. Sexual behavior in the human male. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders; 1948.Google Scholar
- Kosciw JG, Diaz A, Greytak EA. 2007 National School Climate Survey: The Experiences of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Youth in Our Nation’s Schools. New York, NY: The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network; 2008.Google Scholar
- Makadon HJ, Mayer KH, Potter J, Goldhammer H. Fenway guide to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health. Philadelphia, PA: American College of Physicians; 2008.Google Scholar
- Minority Health and Health Disparities Research and Education Act United States Public Law 106-525. 2000; 2498 Web site. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-106publ525/pdf/PLAW-106publ525.pdf. Accessed 10 Mar 2014.
- Presidential Memorandum – Hospital Visitation. The White House Office of the Press Secretary. http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/presidential-memorandum-hospital-visitation. Published April 15, 2010. Accessed 12 Sept 2014.
- Report on the United States of America: Universal Periodic Review on Sexual Rights, Ninth Round. National Council for LGBT Health and Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States; 2010. Accessed 22 Mar 2014. http://lib.ohchr.org/HRBodies/UPR/Documents/session9/US/JS10_JointSubmission10.pdf.
- Smedley B, Stith A, Nelson A. Introduction and literature review. In: Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2003. p. 29–77.Google Scholar
- Social determinants of health: the solid facts. 2nd ed. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organiation; 2003. Accessed 06 Mar 2014. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/98438/e81384.pdf
- Soto-Salgado M, Colón-López V, Perez C, et al. Same-sex behavior and its relationship with sexual and health-related practices among a population-based sample of women in Puerto Rico: implications for cancer prevention and control. Int J Sex Health. 2016;28(4):296–305.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- The Health care Equality Index Core Four Leader Criteria. Washington, DC: Human Rights Campaign. http://www.hrc.org/hei/the-core-four-leader-criteria. Accessed 12 Sept 2014.
- The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine; 2011.Google Scholar
- Tripp CA. The Homosexual Matrix. 2nd ed. New York, NY: New American Library; 1987.Google Scholar
- When Health Care Isn’t Caring: Lambda Legal’s Survey of Discrimination Against LGBT People and People with HIV. New York, NY: Lambda Legal; 2010. http://www.lambdalegal.org/sites/default/files/publications/downloads/whcic-report_when-health-care-isnt-caring.pdf. Accessed 05 Apr 2017.