Unlocking Global Investments for SDGs and Tackling Climate Change
The IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5ºC made clear that urgent action is needed to avoid the threat of climate change and enable sustainable development in line with the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris climate Agreement. Investment is critical to achieve our global climate and sustainable development goals, and to fill the current investment gap the global community needs to get private investors on board. To this end, investors will want to know how contributing to the SDGs will help them fulfilling liabilities, and meeting clients’ risk-adjusted returns expectations. They also need to know how they could invest in SDGs-relevant activities, particularly in sectors that constitute an untapped potential in high risk markets. This chapter provides investors and financiers with evidence on the business case for SDG-informed capital allocation decision-making, and on the instruments that can help them deploying capital in activities supporting the SDGs.
KeywordsSDGs Paris agreement TCFD Sustainable finance
- APG and PGGM (2017), Sustainable Development Investments (SDGs), Taxonomies, May 2017, https://www.apg.nl/en/publication/SDI%20Taxonomies/918
- Benfield, A. (2018). Weather, climate & catastrophe insight: 2017 annual report. Retrieved from http://www.aon.com/reinsurance/analytics-(1)/impact-forecasting.jsp
- Bank of England. (2017). Quarterly bulletin Q2: The Bank of England’s response to climate change. Retrieved from https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/quarterly-bulletin/2017/q2/the-banks-response-to-climate-change
- Bank of England (BoE). (2018). Transition in thinking: The impact of climate change on the UK banking sector. Retrieved from https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/prudential-regulation/publication/2018/transition-in-thinking-the-impact-of-climate-change-on-the-uk-banking-sector
- BlackRock. (2018a). Larry Fink’s annual letter to CEOs, a sense of purpose. Retrieved from https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/investor-relations/larry-fink-ceo-letter
- BlackRock. (2018b). Investment Stewardship, our engagement priorities for 2017-2018. Retrieved from https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/about-us/investment-stewardship/voting-guidelines-reports-position-papers#2018-priorities.
- Buchner, B., Oliver, P., Wang, X., Carswell, C., Meattle, C., & Mazza, F. (2017, October). Global landscape of climate finance 2017. Climate Policy Initiative. Retrieved from https://climatepolicyinitiative.org/publication/global-landscape-of-climate-finance-2017/.
- Business Commission for Sustainable Development (BCSD). (2017a). Better business better world. Retrieved from http://report.businesscommission.org/uploads/BetterBiz-BetterWorld_170215_012417.pdf
- Business Commission for Sustainable Development. (2017b). How the world can finance the SDGs. Retrieved from http://businesscommission.org/our-work/new-report-how-the-world-can-finance-the-sdgs
- Business Commission for Sustainable Development. (2017c). Valuing the SDG prize. Retrieved from http://businesscommission.org/our-work/valuing-the-sdg-prize-unlocking-business-opportunities-toaccelerate-sustainable-and-inclusive-growth
- Carney M. (2018, April). A transition in thinking and action. Speech by Mark Carney.Google Scholar
- Carney M. (2015, September). Breaking the tragedy of the horizon - Climate change and financial stability. Speech by Mark Carney.Google Scholar
- CERES. (2018). CERES web site climate action 100+. Retrieved from https://www.ceres.org/initiatives/climate-action-100
- De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB). (2017a). Waterproof? An exploration of climate-related risks for the Dutch financial sector. Retrieved from https://www.dnb.nl/en/news/news-and-archive/dnbulletin-2017/dnb363837.jsp
- De Nederlandsche Bank. (2017b, October). Increasing climate-related risks demand more action from the financial sector.Google Scholar
- Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). (2015). The cost of inaction: recognizing the value at risk from climate change. Retrieved from https://eiuperspectives.economist.com/sites/default/files/The%20cost%20of%20inaction_0.pdf
- EU High-Level Expert Group on Sustainable Finance. (2017). Financing a sustainable European economy – Interim report. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/170713-sustainable-finance-report_en
- EU High-Level Expert Group on Sustainable Finance. (2018). Financing a sustainable European economy – Final report. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/180131-sustainable-finance-report_en
- FTSE Russell. (2018). Investing in the global green economy: busting common myths. Defining and measuring the investment opportunity. Retrieved from https://www.ftserussell.com/sites/default/files/ftse_russell_investing_in_the_global_green_economy_busting_common_myths_may_2018.pdf
- Global Adaptation & Resilience Investment Working Group (GARI). (2017). An investor guide to physical climate risk & resilience. An introduction. Retrieved from https://garigroup.com/investor-guide
- GIIN. (2018). Financing the sustainable development goals: Impact investing in action. Retrieved from https://thegiin.org/research/publication/financing-sdgs
- Green Finance Task Force. (2018). Accelerating Green Finance. Retrieved from http://greenfinanceinitiative.org/workstreams/green-finance-taskforce/
- HSBC. (2018). ESG moves mainstream. Retrieved from https://www.hsbc.com/news-and-insight/insight-archive/2018/esg-becomes-a-priority
- International Energy Agency (IEA). (2018a). Global energy & CO2 status report, 2017. Retrieved from https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/GECO2017.pdf
- International Energy Agency (IEA). (2018b). Key world energy statistics, 2018. Retrieved from https://webstore.iea.org/download/direct/2291?filename=key_world_2018.pdf
- International Finance Corporation (IFC). (2016). Climate investment opportunities in emerging markets. Retrieved from http://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/news_ext_content/ifc_external_corporate_site/news+and+events/news/new+ifc+report+points+to+%2423+trillion+of+climate-smart+investment+opportunities+in+emerging+markets+by+2030
- International Finance Corporation (IFC); European Development Finance Institutions (EDFI); European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD); African Development Bank (AfDB); Inter-American Development Bank Group (IDBG); Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB); European Investment Bank (EIB); Asian Development Bank (AsDB); Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD). (2017, October). DFI working group on blended concessional finance for private sector projects, summary report. Retrieved from https://www.publications.iadb.org/en/dfi-working-group-blended-concessional-finance-private-sectorprojects-summary-report
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). (2018). Special report on global warming of 1.5°C. Retrieved from http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/.
- IRENA and CPI. (2018). Global landscape of renewable energy finance, 2018. Abu Dhabi: International Renewable Energy Agency. Retrieved from https://www.irena.org/publications/2018/Jan/Global-Landscape-of-Renewable-Energy-Finance.
- Munich Re NatCatSERVICE Statistics. (2017). https://www.munichre.com/en/reinsurance/business/non-life/natcatservice/index.html
- Nelson, E. (2018). When will “socially responsible investing” become just “investing”? Retrieved from https://qz.com/1309419/when-will-socially-responsible-investing-become-just-investing/
- NGFS. (2018). First meeting of the Central Banks and Supervisors Network for Greening the Financial System (NGFS) on January 24th in Paris. Retrieved from https://www.banque-france.fr/en/communique-de-presse/first-meeting-central-banks-and-supervisors-network-greening-financial-system-ngfs-january-24th
- Principles for Responsible Investments (PRI) (2017). The SDG Investment Case, https://www.unpri.org/sdgs/the-sdginvestment-case/303.article.
- Rainforest Action Network. (2017). Banking on climate change. Retrieved from https://www.ran.org/banking_on_climate_change
- S&P Global Ratings. (2017). How environmental and climate risks and opportunities factor into global corporate ratings - An update. Retrieved from https://www.spratings.com/documents/20184/1634005/How+Environmental+And+Climate+Risks+And+Opportunities+Factor+Into+Global+Corporate+Ratings+-+An+Update/5119c3fa-7901-4da2-bc90-9ad6e1836801
- S&P Global Ratings. (2018). The effects of weather events on corporate earnings are gathering force. Retrieved from https://www.spratings.com/documents/20184/4918240/The+Effects+of+Weather+Events+on+Corporate+Earnings+Are+Gathering+Force_Revised/6f654f4a-2be2-475f-a1cb-096f5b70201a
- Trabacchi, C., & Mazza, F. (2015). Emerging Solutions to Drive Private Investment in Climate Resilience. A CPI Working Paper, 2015, https://climatepolicyinitiative.org/publication/emerging-solutions-to-drive-privateinvestment-in-climate-resilience/.
- Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) (2017), Final Report: Recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (June 2017), https://www.fsb-tcfd.org/publications/final-recommendations-report/
- The Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (The LAB) (2017), Climate Resilience and Adaptation Finance and Technology Transfer Facility (CRAFT), Instrument Analysis 2017, https://www.climatefinancelab.org/project/climate-resilience-adaptation-financetransfer-facilitycraft/
- Tonkonogy, B., Brown, J., Micale, V., Wang X., and Clark A. (2018). Blended finance in clean energy: Experiences and opportunities. A report for the Business & Sustainable Development Commission and the Blended Finance Taskforce, Climate Policy Initiative January 2018. Retrieved from https://climatepolicyinitiative.org/publication/blended-finance-clean-energy-experiences-opportunities/.
- The Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (The LAB). (2016). Climate smart lending platform. Retrieved from https://www.climatefinancelab.org/project/climate-smart-finance-smallholders/.
- The Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (The LAB). (2017). Climate Resilience and Adaptation Finance and Technology Transfer Facility (CRAFT), Instrument Analysis 2017, https://www.climatefinancelab.org/project/climate-resilience-adaptation-financetransfer-facilitycraft/.
- World Bank Development Indicators (2018) database last accessed on November 2018 available at http://datatopics.worldbank.org/world-development-indicators/themes/environment.html.