Lessons Learned from Sustainable Value Stream Mapping (Sus-VSM) Application in a Small Enterprise
Opportunities and difficulties of sustainable value stream mapping (Sus-VSM) application in a small enterprise were explored as part of the greening production plan. It was noticed a lack in understanding social and environmental sustainability, even in management levels. The flexibility of small companies was noted as a driver to Sus-VSM application.
KeywordsSus-VSM Small enterprise Sustainability
Financed by CAPES—Brazilian Federal Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education within the Ministry of Education of Brazil.
- 3.EPA-United States Environmental Protection Agency.: Lean Manufacturing and Environment—Toolkits. Available at http://www.epa.gov/lean/environment/toolkits/environment/index.htm. Accessed date 27 Jan 2015
- 7.Hartini, S. Ciptomulyono, U. Anityasari, M.: Extended value stream mapping to enhance sustainability: a literature review. In: AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 1902, no. 1, p. 020030. AIP Publishing (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Kitchenham, B. Procedures for Performing Systematic Reviews.: Joint Technical Report, Software Engineering Group, Keele University and Empirical Software Eng., Nat'l ICT Australia (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Leme Júnior, R.D., Nunes, A.O., Costa, L.B.M., Silva, D.A.L.: Creating value with less impact: lean, green and eco-efficiency in a metalworking industry towards a cleaner production. J. Clean. Prod. 196, 517–534 (2018)Google Scholar
- 14.Paju, M., Heilala, J., Hentula, M., Heikkilä, A., Johansson, B., Leong, S., Lyons, K.: Framework and indicators for a sustainable manufacturing mapping methodology. In: Simulation Conference (WSC), Proceedings of the 2010 Winter, pp. 3411–3422. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Rosenbaum, S., Toledo, M., González, V.: Improving environmental and production performance in construction projects using value-stream mapping: Case study. 140(2), 1 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Rother, M., Shook, J.: Learning to see: value stream mapping to add value and eliminate muda. Lean Enterprise Institute (2003)Google Scholar
- 18.Sparks, D., Badurdeen, F.: Combining sustainable value stream mapping and simulation to assess supply chain performance. In: IIE Annual Conference. Proceedings, p. 1847. Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.The US Department of Commerce.: The International Trade Administration and The U.S. Department of Commerce’s definition for Sustainable Manufacturing. Available at http://www.trade.gov/competitiveness/sustainablemanufacturing/how_doc_defines_SM.asp. Accessed date 23 Aug 2018
- 20.Torres Jr. A.S., Gati, A.M.: Environmental value stream mapping (EVSM) as sustainability management tool. In: Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering & Technology, 2009. PICMET 2009, pp. 1689–1698. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar