Debunking Internet Myths: What Is the Best Approach?
The Internet has become a common resource of health information for the public across the world. People turn to the Internet to self-diagnose and, sometimes, self-treat. It can lead patients with oftentimes vague symptoms to turn to a primary care doctor or endocrinologist with a perceived diagnosis of hypothyroidism, low testosterone (or low T), or “adrenal fatigue.” It is the physician’s responsibility to listen to the frequently frustrated patient, do a complete history and physical, educate them on the true way to diagnose and treat the presumed condition, and direct them toward a possible etiology of their symptoms.
KeywordsInternet myths Adrenal fatigue Hypothyroidism Low T syndrome
- 1.Smiths A. What percentage of people in this world have a computer? How many of them are connected to the Internet? How many of them know how to code? 2017 [updated 2017, Sept 13]. Available from: https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-people-in-this-world-have-a-computer-How-many-of-them-are-connected-to-the-internet-How-many-of-them-know-how-to-code.
- 2.Fox S, Duggan M. Health online 2013. Pew Research Center; 2013.Google Scholar
- 6.How do I get bioidentical hormones? Available from: http://bhrtforme.tripod.com/bioidentical-hormones-no-prescription.html.
- 7.Shmerling R. Dr. Google: the top 10 health searches in 2017. 2017 [updated 2018, Feb 26]. Available from: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/google-top-10-health-searches-2017-2018022113300.
- 10.Thyroid health – Understanding reverse T3 2017, Apr 20. Available from: https://www.nahypothyroidism.org/thyroid-health-understanding-reverse-t3/.
- 11.Bowthorpe J. Reverse T3 (also called Reverse Triiodothyronine) 2009, Jan 7 [cited 2018 May 1]. Available from: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3/.
- 12.Osborne P. How diet and nutrition can help your thyroid 2017, July 26 [cited 2018 May 1]. Available from: https://hypothyroidmom.com/how-diet-and-nutrition-can-help-your-thyroid/#more-12325.
- 13.Hedberg N. Searching for the causes of Hashimoto’s disease. The key to healing 2017, Jan 1. Available from: https://hypothyroidmom.com/searching-for-the-causes-of-hashimotos-disease-the-key-to-healing/#more-11526.
- 14.Fallis J. 13 Things helped this hypothyroid man beat chronic mental illness 2016, Sept 19. Available from: https://hypothyroidmom.com/13-things-helped-this-hypothyroid-man-beat-chronic-mental-illness/#more-10283.
- 21.Pollock MA, Sturrock A, Marshall K, Davidson KM, Kelly CJ, McMahon AD, et al. Thyroxine treatment in patients with symptoms of hypothyroidism but thyroid function tests within the reference range: randomized double-blind placebo controlled crossover trial. BMJ. 2001;323(7318):891–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Handelsman DJ. Androgen physiology, pharmacology, and abuse. In: DeGroot LJ, Jameson JL, editors. Endocrinology. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2010. p. 2469–98.Google Scholar
- 38.Heymann P. “Keep Internet Neighborhoods Safe” a proposal for preventing the illegal internet sales of controlled substances to minors 2006 July 13. Available from: http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/criminal-justice/kins-draft.pdf.