The last part of the book, Part III focuses on ethical assessment. In this chapter we look at the major ethical theories and how they can help provide a framework for assessing doctors’ involvement in torture. This survey and application includes Teleological Ethics (which prioritizes end goals and consequences), Deontological Ethics (which prioritizes moral duty and obligations), Virtue Ethics (which prioritizes a life of virtue and the development of moral character), and Feminist Ethics (which prioritizes relationships and moral agency).
- Aristotle. Poetics. The Internet Classics Archive. http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/poetics.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Bloche, M. Gregg. 2004, June 10. Physician, Turn Thyself in. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/10/opinion/after-abu-ghraib-physician-turn-thyself-in.html, Retrieved 5 June 2018
- Donchin, Anne. 2015, December 16. Feminist Bioethics. Stanford Library. https://stanford.library.sydney.edu.au/entries/feminist-bioethics/#CarEth. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Ghosts of Abu Ghraib. 2007. DVD. Rory Kennedy director.Google Scholar
- Leopold, Jason. 2016, July 8. This Is How the CIA’s First Captive after 9/11 Described His Years of Torture. Vice News. https://news.vice.com/article/abu-zubaydah-al-qaeda-describes-cia-torture. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Manning, Rita C. 1992. Speaking From the Heart. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- ProPublica. 2016, July 8. The Terror Suspect Who Had Nothing To Give. https://www.propublica.org/article/the-terror-suspect-who-had-nothing-to-give. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Rand, Ayn. Atlas Shrugged. https://archive.org/download/AtlasShrugged/atlas%20shrugged.pdf. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Stern, Jeffrey E. 2017, December 19. Alka Pradhan v. Gitmo. The New York Times magazine. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/magazine/alka-pradhan-v-gitmo.html. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Taxi to the Dark Side. 2007. Script. https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=taxi-to-the-dark-side. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Thieme, Richard. 2016, January 13. Interview with Steven Miles: The Torture-Endangered Society. ThiemeWorks. www.thiemeworks.com/write/archives/steven_miles_interview.htm. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Tong, Rosemarie. 1993. Feminine and Feminist Ethics. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing.Google Scholar
- ———. 1997. Feminist Approaches to Bioethics. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Warren, Mary Anne. 1997. Moral Status. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Warren, Virginia L. 1992. Feminist Directions in Medical Ethics. In Feminist Perspectives in Medical Ethics, ed. Helen Berquaert Holmes and Laura M. Purdy. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- World Medical Association. 2004, June 12. Physicians Should Report Acts of Torture, says World Medical Association President. Medical News Today. www.wma.net/e/press/2004_14.htm. Retrieved 3 December 2017.