In Part II we look at the boundaries of torture and the ethical issues they bring to light. In this chapter we turn to what many consider the worst form of torture, solitary confinement. A disaster in terms of a method of rehabilitation (as intended by the Quakers who put it to use years ago), solitary confinement has brought about any number of harms and no apparent benefits.
- Ahalt, Cyrus, and Brie Williams. 2016, May 5. Reforming Solitary-Confinement Policy — Heeding a Presidential Call to Action. New England Journal of Medicine374: 1704–1706. http://www.stopsolitaryforkids.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NEJM-Solitary-May-2016-p1601399.pdf. Retrieved 5 June 2018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brewster, Murray. 2018, February 8. Alleged ISIS Operative ‘Jihadi Jack’ Begs Canada to Let Him Come Here. CBC News. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jihadi-jack-isis-consular-1.4526882. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Casella, Jean, 2015, October 21, “Off the Block,” Solitary Watch http://solitarywatch.com/2015/10/21/off-the-block/. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- CNN. 2009, April 17. 2002 Memo: Had to Be Intent to Inflict ‘Severe Pain’ to Be Torture. CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/16/us.torture.documents/. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Dayan, Colin. 2007. The Story of Cruel and Unusual. Boston: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Fink, Sheri and James Risen. 2017, June 20. Psychologists Open a Window on Brutal C.I.A. Interrogations. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/20/us/cia-torture.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Fortin, Jacey. 2017, April 26. Report Compares Texas’ Solitary Confinement Policies to Torture. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/us/texas-death-row-torture-report.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Gawande, Atul. 2009, March 30. Hellhole. The New Yorker. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/03/30/hellhole. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Goode, Erica. 2015, August 3. Solitary Confinement: Punished for Life. The New Yorker. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/health/solitary-confinement-mental-illness.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- History.com. 2009, December 4. 1991: Hostage Terry Anderson Freed in Lebanon. https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/hostage-terry-anderson-freed-in-lebanon. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Kennedy, Merrit, 2016, February 19. Last of ‘Angola 3’ Released After More Than 40 Years in Solitary Confinement. NPR. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/19/467406096/last-of-angola-3-released-after-more-than-40-years-in-solitary-confinement. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Manson, Joshua. 2016, October 28. UN Report Compare Solitary Practices in the US and Around the World. Solitary Watch. http://solitarywatch.com/2016/10/28/un-report-compares-solitary-confinement-practices-around-the-world/. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Margulies, Joseph. 2006. Guantánamo and the Abuse of Presidential Power. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Office of Inspector General. 2017, December 11. Concerns about ICE Detainee Treatment and Care at Detention Facilities. Homeland Security. https://www.oig.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/assets/2017-12/OIG-18-32-Dec17.pdf. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Office of the Inspector General. 2017, July. Review of the Federal Bureau of Prisons’ Use of Restrictive Housing for Inmates with Mental Illness. US Department of Justice. https://oig.justice.gov/reports/2017/e1705.pdf#page=1. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Pilkington, Ed. 2016, February 20. Albert Woodfox Speaks After 43 Years in Solitary Confinement: ‘I Would Not Let Them Drive Me Insane’. The Guardian (UK). https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/20/albert-woodfox-angola-3-first-interview-trump-confinement. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Raemisch, Rick. 2017, October 12. Why We Ended Long-Term Solitary Confinement in Colorado. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/opinion/solitary-confinement-colorado-prison.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Reilly, Ryan J. 2017, July 12. Federal Prisons Officials Claim Inmates Aren’t Held in Solitary. DOJ Watchdog Says They Are. Huffington Post. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/federal-prison-solitary-confinement-mental-illness_us_59664623e4b005b0fdca5f85?nf5. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Richey, Warren. 2007, August 13. US Terror Interrogation Went Too Far, Experts Say. Christian Science Monitor. https://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0813/p01s03-usju.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Sacchetti, Maria. 2017, December 17. Watchdog Report Finds Moldy Food, Mistreatment In Immigrant Detention Centers. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/immigration/watchdog-report-finds-moldy-food-mistreatment-in-immigrant-detention-centers/2017/12/15/c97b380a-e10d-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html?utm_term=.1bc140373121. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Solitary Watch. 2016, October 28. UN Report Compares Solitary Confinement Practices in the U.S. and Around the World. http://solitarywatch.com/2016/10/28/un-report-compares-solitary-confinement-practices-around-the-world/. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Sontag, Deborah. 2006, December 4. Video Is a Window Into a Terror Suspect’s Isolation. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/us/04detain.html. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Stack, Liam. 2017, March 30. 3 Men on Death Row in Louisiana Sue Over Solitary Confinement. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/us/3-men-on-death-row-in-louisiana-sue-over-solitary-confinement.htm. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Sudworth, John. 2017, October 25. China lawyer recounts torture under Xi’s ‘war on law’ BBC news. Beijing: BBC. http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-chinablog-41661862. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Washington Post Editorial Board. 2017, July 15. Solitary Confinement Is Torture. Will the Bureau of Prisons Finally Stop Using It? The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/solitary-confinement-is-torture-will-the-bureau-of-prisons-finally-stop-using-it/2017/07/15/f719de20-68c6-11e7-8eb5-cbccc2e7bfbf_story.html?utm_term=.adc722effac4. Retrieved 5 June 2018.