Identifying Local Builders’ Roles in Physical Transformation of Minangkabau’s Rumah Gadang
Rumah gadang as a vernacular house of Minangkabau has undergone a series of physical transformations. These transformations represent changes in typical construction practices of rumah gadang in Minangkabau. This paper aims to scrutinise house-building practices conducted by tukang kampung (non-institutional village builders) in one of the oldest nagari (indigenous settlement) in Minangkabau, Nagari Sumpu. This approach is selected deliberately to investigate the re-construction process of vernacular architecture in the present context of Minangkabau, and to understand the concept of vernacularity manifested within the process. This study shows that the re-construction of rumah gadang by tukang tuo, Datuak Pe, has prompted a revival of vernacular architecture specifically in Nagari Sumpu. This also reveals that the practice of re-constructing rumah gadang results in another vernacular phenomena: restating the kaum’s (matri-kin) existence, reviving local building knowledge and methods, and establishing local builders’ networks, which are undeniably contributing to the understanding of the concept of vernacularity.
KeywordsRumah Gadang Vernacular architecture Tukang Tuo The revival of vernacular architecture
- 1.Rudolfsky, B.: Architecture without architects – a short introduction to non-pedigreed architecture. Connecticut Printers, USA (1965).Google Scholar
- 2.Rapoport, A.: House form and culture: foundation of cultural geography series. Prentice-Hall, Inc., SA (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.Widiastuti, I., Sudradjat, I.: Pengaruh Modernisasi terhadap KonstruksiHubungan Konstruksi Hubungan Gender pada Arsitektur Masyarakat Berkekerabatan Matrilineal di Nusantara. (Unpublished research report P3MI). Institut Teknologi Bandung, Bandung, Indonesia (2017).Google Scholar
- 4.Oliver, P.: Encyclopedia of Vernacular vernacular Architecture architecture of the Worldworld. 2nd edn. Cambridge Uviversity Press, England (1998).Google Scholar
- 5.Radjab, M.: Semasa kecil di kampung 1 – anak Danau Singkarak. Balai Pustaka, Jakarta (2008).Google Scholar