Infrastructure and the Belt and Road Initiative
This chapter discusses infrastructure and specifically the megaproject of China’s President Xi Jinping, the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). It is sure that infrastructure is a major point to look at the ethic of China along the Belt and Road Initiative. The author pointed the cases of Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and Myanmar. This chapter deals with the important question of dispute resolution. The outlook on economy, development impacts, risks and challenges, and arbitration on infrastructure along the Belt and Road shows that infrastructure remains a priority for China, a challenger to the existing international order.
KeywordsBelt and Road Development Deep sea ports Dispute resolution Infrastructure Finance
- ADB. 2016. The One Belt, One Road Initiative, Impact on Trade and Growth, Villafuerte, Corong, and Zhuang. 19th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis, Asian Development Bank, June 15. Accessed November 27, 2018. https://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/resources/download/8280.pdf.
- Baloch and Bloomberg. 2017. Accessed November 23, 2018. https://balochdiplomacy.wordpress.com/2017/10/26/cpec-is-one-of-the-riskiest-routes-of-bri/.
- Belt. 2015. Accessed November 21, 2018. http://en.ndrc.gov.cn/newsrelease/201503/t20150330_669367.html.
- Bush III, Richard. 2012, January 31. The Response of China’s Neighbors to the U.S. “Pivot” to Asia. Brookings Institution.Google Scholar
- CSIS. 2018. Hillman J.E. Accessed November 27, 2018. https://www.csis.org/analysis/chinas-belt-and-road-initiative-five-years-later-0.
- Deacons. 2014. A Simple Guide to Arbitration in Mainland China. Hong Kong: Deacons. Accessed November 23, 2018. https://www.deacons.com.hk/assets/Images/Newspercent20andpercent20Insights/Publication/2014/201405_SimpleGuidetoArbitrationinChina.pdf.Google Scholar
- (The) Diplomat. 2017. Accessed November 28, 2018. https://thediplomat.com/2017/01/chinas-maritime-great-wall-in-the-south-and-east-china-seas/.
- Diwakar, Amar. 2018. China’s Debt-Trap Diplomacy Along the Belt and Road. Accessed November 27, 2018. https://thewire.in/world/china-debt-trap-diplomacy-bri.
- Dorsey, James M. 2018. China and the Middle East: Venturing into the Maelstrom. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Erken, Hugo, Michael Every, and Björn Giesbergen. 2018. US-China Trade War: Back to the Future. Accessed November 22, 2018. https://economics.rabobank.com/publications/2018/june/us-china-trade-war-back-to-the-future/.
- Gruenwald, Paul. 2017. Accessed November 23, 2018. https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/podcasts/policy/051617-chinas-one-belt-one-road-initiative-overview-and-implications.
- Guardian. July 2018. Accessed November 23, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/cities/ng-interactive/2018/jul/30/what-china-belt-road-initiative-silk-road-explainer.
- Hasan, Rana, et al. 2017. Meeting Asia’s Infrastructure Needs. Asian Development Bank, February. Accessed November 21, 2018. https://www.adb.org/news/asia-infrastructure-needs-exceed-17-trillion-year-double-previous-estimates.
- Investment. 2018. Accessed November 23, 2018. http://www.oecd.org/daf/inv/investment-policy/FDI-in-Figures-April-2018.pdf-pivot-to-Asia.
- Investment Gap. 2016. Bridging Global Infrastructure Gaps. New York, NY: McKinsey Global Institute.Google Scholar
- Iris. 2017. Iris #31. Accessed November 27, 2018. http://www.iris-france.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Asia-Focus-31.pdf.
- Luft, Gal. 2016. China’s Infrastructure Play: Why Washington Should Accept the New Silk Road. Foreign Affairs 95 (5): 68–75. Accessed November 26, 2018. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/asia/china-s-infrastructure-play; http://www.iags.org/Luft_BRI.pdf.
- Macau Daily Times. 2017. Accessed November 28, 2018. https://macaudailytimes.com.mo/new-silk-road-runs-straight-junk-territory.html.
- Ma Si. 2017. China to Invest Heavily in Belt and Road Countries. China Daily, May 13.Google Scholar
- Moody. 2018. Accessed November 28, 2018. https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-Chinas-Belt-and-Road-Initiative-is-credit-positive-overall%2D%2DPR_372698.
- Principles. 2015. Accessed November 15, 2018. http://en.ndrc.gov.cn/newsrelease/201503/t20150330_669367.html.
- Scheck, Martin. 2016. Accessed November 23, 2018. http://www.media-outreach.com/release.php/View/2593/Silk-Road-Bond-Bridging-the-Financing-Needs-of-Belt-and-Road-Countries.html.
- Stanzel, Angela. 2018. Fear and Loathing on the New Silk Road: Chinese Security in Afghanistan and Beyond. European Council on Foreign Relations. Accessed November 28, 2018. https://www.ecfr.eu/publications/summary/new_silk_road_chinese_security_in_afghanistan_beyond.
- Wang Yiwei 王义桅. 2018. Belt and Road Initiative: China’s Rising International Responsibilities (in Chinese). Yidai yilu Zhongguo jue qide tianxia dandang“一带一路”中国崛起的天下担当。 Beijing: People’s Press (人民出版社)。.Google Scholar
- Wolff, Peter. c.2016. China’s ‘Belt and Road’ Initiative–Challenges and Opportunities. Accessed November 27, 2018. https://www.diegdi.de/uploads/media/Belt_and_Road_V1.pdf.
- Xi. 2016. The Belt and Road Forum in Beijing, China, May 13, 2017.Google Scholar
- Xinhua, Asia Times. 2018. Xinhua, August 28, 2018. Asia Times id. Accessed November 23, 2018. http://www.atimes.com/article/chinas-new-silk-road-gets-a-glossy-new-image/?fb_comment_id=2151864928221162_2152298791511109.
- Yuen, Rimsky. 2017. The Belt and Road Initiative and Infrastructure Dispute Resolution: A Few Thoughts. Accessed October 10, 2018. https://www.doj.gov.hk/eng/public/pdf/2017/sj20170919e1.pdf