Clinical Presentation and Diagnosis
Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (ICC) is the second most common primary liver tumor after hepatocellular carcinoma. In recent years, there has been an increasing trend in the incidence and mortality rate of ICC worldwide. In general, the outcome of patients with ICC is dismal, mainly due to late diagnosis and lack of effective treatment options. Detection of the tumor at early stages may make surgical resection, as the only potentially curative treatment, more feasible. Identifying ICC-specific diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers has been a focus of interest among many investigators. Unfortunately, despite recent developments in imaging modalities and laboratory tests, the diagnosis of ICC remains challenging and the majority of patients are not amenable to surgical resection at the time of presentation. Herein, we provide an overview of the current modalities used in the diagnosis of ICC.
KeywordsBiliary tract cancer Liver tumor Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma Diagnosis Biomarker Imaging
- 5.Banales JM, Cardinale V, Carpino G, Marzioni M, Andersen JB, Invernizzi P, et al. Expert consensus document: cholangiocarcinoma: current knowledge and future perspectives consensus statement from the European Network for the Study of Cholangiocarcinoma (ENS-CCA). Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016;13(5):261.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Jaiswal M, LaRusso N, Gores GJ. Cholangiocarcinoma and pro-inflammatory cytokines. Cancer Alert. 2000;1:141–4.Google Scholar
- 18.Alvaro D, Bragazzi MC, Benedetti A, Fabris L, Fava G, Invernizzi P, et al. Cholangiocarcinoma in Italy: a national survey on clinical characteristics, diagnostic modalities and treatment. Results from the “cholangiocarcinoma” committee of the Italian Association for the Study of liver disease. Dig Liver Dis. 2011;43(1):60–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Shimada K, Sano T, Sakamoto Y, Esaki M, Kosuge T, Ojima H. Surgical outcomes of the mass-forming plus Periductal infiltrating types of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: a comparative study with the typical mass-forming type of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. World J Surg. 2007;31(10):2016–22.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Bartella I, Dufour JF. Clinical diagnosis and staging of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis (JGLD). 2015;24(4):481–9.Google Scholar