The purpose of this book is threefold. First, we re-examine the ideological antecedents of Pan-Africanism, as well as African Unity as a historical movement, its major contributors, and current institutional status. The original materials, which include resolutions, proceedings, and financial statements that we have uncovered, after two years of research, at the special collections unit of the Du Bois Library at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, calls for a re-evaluation of Pan-Africanism. Secondly, we examine the facilitative role of emerging technologies, such as high-performance computing, telecommunications, and satellite remote sensing in enabling African sustainable development. Finally, we examine the constraints and future prospects for achieving African continental unity.
- African Trade Report. 2018. Boosting Intra-African Trade: Implications of the African Continental Free Trade Area Agreement. Available online at https://afreximbank.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/African-Trade-Report-2018.pdf. Accessed 17 Aug 2018.
- Esedebe, P. Olisanwuche. 1994. Pan-Africanism: The Idea and Movement, 1776–1991. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: Howard University Press.Google Scholar
- Geiss, Imanuel. 1974. The Pan-African Movement: A History of Pan-Africanism in America, Europe, and Africa. Translated by Ann Keep. London: Methuen.Google Scholar
- Herskovits, Melville J. 1941. The Myth of the Negro Past. New York: Harper & Brothers.Google Scholar
- Kohn, Hans. 1933. Pan-Movements. In Encyclopaedia of the Social Sciences, ed. Edwin Seligman and Alvin Johnson, 544–554. New York: The Macmillan Company.Google Scholar
- Mazrui, Ali. 2001. Pan Africanism and the Origins of Globalization. Lecture delivered at the DuBois Centre, Ghana. Available online at http://igcs.binghamton.edu/igcs_site/dirton12.htm. Accessed 07 July 2018.
- Nkrumah, Kwame. 1963. Africa Must Unite. New York: Frederick A. Praeger, Inc.Google Scholar
- Nyerere, Julius. 1967. The Words of Nyerere – Freedom and Unity/Uhuru na Umoja: A Selection from Writings and Speeches 1952–65. London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- ———. 1968. Freedom and Socialism/Uhuru Na Ujamaa: A Selection from Writings and Speeches, 1965–1967. London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Quist-Arcton, Ofeibea. 2009. Not-So-Trivial Pursuit of a United States of Africa. National Public Radio. Available online at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114051023. Accessed 20 Dec 2009.
- Snyder, Louis. 1984. Macro-Nationalism: A History of the Pan-Movements. Westport: Greenwood Press.Google Scholar