Optimal Air Traffic Flow Management with Carbon Emissions Considerations
Air Transportation contributes in more than 2% of the total global emissions. In this paper, we formulate the air traffic flow management (ATFM) problem as a bi-objective mixed integer linear programming model that minimizes the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and the total delay cost. The model is solved using a Pareto-based scalarization technique called the weighted comprehensive criterion method. A numerical example is used to illustrate the effect of considering CO2 emissions on the ATFM network. A Pareto front is developed to illustrate the trade-off between CO2 emissions and the total delay costs. The results showed that reducing 1 kg of CO2 emissions comes at a delay cost of 1.22 €. This result can be beneficial for decision makers in determining penalty values and setting aviation emission policies.
KeywordsAir holding Ground holding Air traffic flow management Environment Carbon emissions
The authors would like to thank Prof. Ali Akgunduz, Professor of Mechanical, Industrial and Aerospace Engineering at Concordia University – Canada, for providing the fuel consumption data used in this study.
This work was supported by the University of Sharjah [grant number 1702040585].
- 1.Dekker, R., Bloemhof, J., Mallidis, I.: Operations Research for green logistics - an overview of aspects, issues, contributions and challenges. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 219, 671–679 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Gössling, S., Broderick, J., Upham, P., Ceron, J.P., Dubois, G., Peeters, P., Strasdas, W.: Voluntary carbon offsetting schemes for aviation: efficiency, credibility and sustainable tourism. J. Sustain. Tour. 15, 223–248 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.European Commission: Reducing emissions from aviation. https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/aviation_en. Accessed 4 Feb 2019
- 4.Hayward, J.A., O’Connell, D.A., Raison, R.J., Warden, A.C., O’Connor, M.H., Murphy, H.T., Booth, T.H., Braid, A.L., Crawford, D.F., Herr, A., Jovanovic, T., Poole, M.L., Prestwidge, D., Raisbeck-Brown, N., Rye, L.: The economics of producing sustainable aviation fuel: a regional case study in Queensland Australia. GCB Bioenergy 7, 497–511 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Clarke, J.-P., Lowther, M., Ren, L., Singhose, W., Solak, S., Vela, A., Wong, L.: En route traffic optimization to reduce environmental impact. http://web.mit.edu/aeroastro/partner/reports/proj5/proj5-enrouteoptimiz.pdf (2008)
- 6.Bertsimas, D., Patterson, S.S.: The air traffic flow management problem with enroute capacities. Oper. Res. 46, 406–422 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Bertsimas, D., Patterson, S.S.: The traffic flow management rerouting problem in air traffic control: a dynamic network flow approach. Transp. Sci. 34, 239–255 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Lulli, G., Odoni, A.: The European air traffic flow management problem. Transp. Sci. 41, 431–443 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Agustín, A., Alonso-Ayuso, A., Escudero, L.F., Pizarro, C.: On air traffic flow management with rerouting. Part I: deterministic case. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 219, 156–166 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Agustín, A., Alonso-Ayuso, A., Escudero, L.F., Pizarro, C.: On air traffic flow management with rerouting. Part II: stochastic case. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 219, 167–177 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Diao, X., Chen, C.H.: A sequence model for air traffic flow management rerouting problem. Transp. Res. Part E Logist. Transp. Rev. 110, 15–30 (2018)Google Scholar
- 12.Mukherjee, A., Hansen, M.: A dynamic rerouting model for air traffic flow management. Transp. Res. Part B Methodol. 43, 159–171 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Andreatta, G., Dell’olmo, P., Lulli, G.: An aggregate stochastic programming model for air traffic flow management. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 215, 697–704 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Bertsimas, D., Gupta, S.: Fairness and collaboration in network air traffic flow management: an optimization approach. Transp. Sci. 50, 57–76 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Chen, J., Cao, Y., Sun, D.: Modeling, optimization, and operation of large-scale air traffic flow management on spark. J. Aerosp. Inf. Syst. 14, 504–516 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Hamdan, S., Cheaitou, A., Jouini, O., Jemai, Z., Alsyouf, I., Bettayeb, M.: On fairness in the network air traffic flow management with rerouting. In: 2018 9th International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (ICMAE), pp. 100–105. IEEE, Budapest, Hungary (2018)Google Scholar
- 17.Hamdan, S., Cheaitou, A., Jouini, O., Jemai, Z., Alsyouf, I., Bettayeb, M.: An environmental air traffic flow management model. In: 2019 8th International Conference on Modeling, Simulation, and Applied Optimization (ICMSAO). IEEE, Bahrain (2019)Google Scholar
- 18.Akgunduz, A., Kazerooni, H.: A non-time segmented modeling for air-traffic flow management problem with speed dependent fuel consumption formulation. Comput. Ind. Eng. 122, 181–188 (2018)Google Scholar
- 19.Hamdan, S., Larbi, R., Cheaitou, A., Alsyouf, I.: Green Traveling purchaser problem model: a bi-objective optimization approach. In: 2017 7th International Conference on Modeling, Simulation, and Applied Optimization, ICMSAO 2017. IEEE, United Arab Emirates (2017)Google Scholar