An Automated Fall Detection System Using Recurrent Neural Networks
- 790 Downloads
Falls are the most common cause of fatal injuries in elderly people, causing even death if there is no immediate assistance. Fall detection systems can be used to alert and request help when this type of accident happens. Certain types of these systems include wearable devices that analyze bio-medical signals from the person carrying it in real time. In this way, Deep Learning algorithms could automate and improve the detection of unintentional falls by analyzing these signals. These algorithms have proven to achieve high effectiveness with competitive performances in many classification problems. This work aims to study 16 Recurrent Neural Networks architectures (using Long Short-Term Memory and Gated Recurrent Units) for falls detection based on accelerometer data, reducing computational requirements of previous research. The architectures have been tested on a labeled version of the publicly available SisFall dataset, achieving a mean F1-score above 0.73 and improving state-of-the-art solutions in terms of network complexity.
KeywordsFall detection Deep Learning Recurrent Neural Networks Long Short-Term Memory Gated Recurrent Units Accelerometer
This work was supported by the excellence project from the Spanish government grant (with support from the European Regional Development Fund) COFNET (TEC2016-77785-P).
- 1.Cho, K., et al.: On the properties of neural machine translation: encoder-decoder approaches. arXiv preprint arXiv:1409.1259 (2014)
- 2.Chung, J., et al.: Empirical evaluation of gated recurrent neural networks on sequence modeling. arXiv preprint arXiv:1412.3555 (2014)
- 6.Musci, M., et al.: Online fall detection using recurrent neural networks. arXiv preprint arXiv:1804.04976 (2018)
- 7.Noury, N., et al.: Fall detection-principles and methods. In: 2007 29th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS 2007, pp. 1663–1666. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Torti, E., et al.: Embedded real-time fall detection with deep learning on wearable devices. In: 2018 21st Euromicro Conference on Digital System Design (DSD), pp. 405–412. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 12.World Health Organization: Ageing; life course unit. Who global report on falls prevention in older age. World Health Organization (2008)Google Scholar