Camouflage, Extensions, and Electrical Devices to Improve Hair Volume
Many strategies exist to improve hair volume in patients with thinning hair, providing options for various types and severity of hair loss. The most complete form of camouflage is a wig, which can provide total hair replacement. Many different types of wigs exist, varying in the degree of natural appearance, price, and durability. Hair extensions are often used by patients with thinning hair. There is a large range in types and quality of hair extensions, some of which can be damaging to the patient’s natural hair and worsen hair loss. Other camouflage methods utilize the strategy of decreasing the color contrast between the scalp and the hair, minimizing the appearance of hair thinning. These methods include hair fibers, powder cakes, scalp sprays/lotions, hair crayons, and micropigmentation. We also discuss artificial hair transplants, which are not approved in the USA but are frequently performed in Europe and Australia. Various electrical devices can be used to improve hair volume, including specialized hair irons designed specifically for that purpose. The wide array of methods for improving hair volume allows for tailoring an approach specific for a patient’s needs.
KeywordsWig Hair prosthesis Hairpiece Hair extensions Scalp camouflage Hair fibers Micropigmentation Microblading Artificial hair implants Blow dryer Hair iron
Special thanks to Chuck Alfieri Thin Hair Solutions located in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and to Stefano Ospitali from Cesare Ragazzi Laboratories for graciously providing images of hair extensions and integration systems.
- 4.Cesare Ragazzi Laboratories. Hair replacement system. https://www.cesareragazzi.com/en/hair-replacement-system. Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- 5.Chuck Alfieri. Integration microline system | hair extensions from Chuck Alfieri. http://chuckalfieri.com/hair-extensions/integration-microline-system/. Accessed 26 Sept 2018.
- 6.Hairdreams. Hairdreams MicroLines. https://www.hairdreams.com/en-us/volume/volume-hair-thickening-system/volume-microlines. Accessed 4 Oct 2018.
- 8.Completeimage.org. Wig vs. hair piece vs. toupee. http://www.completeimage.org/2012/12/30/wig-vs-hair-piece-vs-toupee/. Published 2012. Accessed 19 Sept 2018.
- 9.Mickail S. What are the different types of hair extensions? – Luxy Hair. https://www.luxyhair.com/blogs/hair-blog/what-are-the-different-types-of-hair-extensions. Accessed 14 Sept 2018.
- 10.HEM - Hair Extension Magazine. Hair extension methods - best hair extensions | HEM. https://hairextensionmagazine.com/hair-extension-methods/. Accessed 26 Sept 2018.
- 14.Wakelin SH. Contact anaphylaxis from natural rubber latex used as an adhesive for hair extensions. Br J Dermatol. 2002;146(2):340–1. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2133.2002.4653_10.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Hair Patches. Home - Hair Patches. http://hair-patches.com/. Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- 16.National Alopecia Areata Foundation. Cosmetic Guide. https://www.naaf.org/resource/cosmetic-guide. Published 2015. Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- 17.Cicatricial Alopecia Research Foundation. Cosmetic options for covering hair loss. http://www.carfintl.org/_articles/cosmetic-options.pdf. Published 2011. Accessed 1 Oct 2018.
- 18.Ergas T. Everything you should know before you get microbladed brows. https://www.usmagazine.com/stylish/news/everything-you-should-know-before-you-get-microbladed-brows-w478286/. Published 2017. Accessed 26 Sept 2018.
- 20.Summers J. Best volumizing styling tips for fine, thin hair | Matrix. https://www.matrix.com/blog/the-13-best-volumizing-styling-tips-for-fine-thin-hair. Published 2018. Accessed 19 Sept 2018.
- 21.Wikipedia contributors. Hair Iron. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hair_iron&oldid=858692280. Accessed 19 Sept 2018.
- 22.Elser A. A quick and easy way to get volume with your flat iron | StyleCaster. http://stylecaster.com/beauty/quick-easy-volume-flat-iron/. Published 2012. Accessed 19 Sept 2018.
- 23.Doheny K. How to avoid hair damage from blow dryers, flat irons, and curling irons. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/how-not-to-wreck-your-hair#1. Published 2012. Accessed 19 Sept 2018.
- 24.VOLOOM volumizing iron: all-day hair volume in minutes. https://voloom.com/. Accessed 19 Sept 2018.
- 25.Dyson. Dyson Airwrap™. https://www.dyson.com/hair-care/dyson-airwrap-styler-overview.html. Accessed 13 Jan 2019.