Do Customers Really Get Tired of Double Eleven Global Carnival? An Exploration of Negative Influences on Consumer Attitudes toward Online Shopping Website
The total turnover of Double Eleven Global Carnival on Tmall is RMB 213.5 billion on November 11th in 2018. Behind the great success, various sales promotions are significant. However, not all sales promotions have only good effects, some of them will have negative influences on consumers, resulting in some consumers’ dislike to online shopping website. Based on the grounded theory, we conducted a qualitative analysis of the viewpoints of 123 consumers who dislike the double 11 shopping carnival. After coding, we found that the complex rules of promotion, fake discounts, compelling marketing, disadvantages of goods/services might have caused consumers’ aversion to shopping festival. But this negative situation is not common. The study used linear regression to analyze data collected from 156 Chinese respondents, exploring the impact of sales promotions’ negative factors on consumer attitudes. We found that (1) negative influences of the double eleven sales promotion have no significant impact on consumers’ attitudes towards the website; (2) AW (attitude toward website) as well as SS (sales promotion satisfaction) have significant impact on AS (attitude toward sales promotion).
KeywordsE-commerce Double eleven global carnival Consumer attitudes
This study was supported by the Key Project of the National Social Science Fund(18AGL024).
- 6.Jallow, H., Dastane, O.: Effect of sales promotion schemes on purchase quantity: a study of Malaysian consumers (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Riley, L., Mili, S., et al.: Using qualitative methods to understand physical activity and weight management among Bangladeshis in New York city, 2013. Prev. Chronic Dis. 13, E87 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Rodda, S.N., Hing, N., et al.: Behaviour change strategies for problem gambling: an analysis of online posts. Int. Gambl. Stud. 18(3), 420–438 (2018)Google Scholar
- 13.Weiwei, T.: When online shopping becomes a habit - a brief analysis of the survey report on online shopping users in China in 2015. China Stat. 2, 15–17 (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Yang, Y.: An introduction to creative management. Econ. Manag. Publ. House (2018)Google Scholar