Model Order Reduction of Coupled, Parameterized Elastic Bodies for Shape Optimization
In this contribution, coupled, parameterized second order systems are considered where the coupled, parameterized system is derived from the assembly of several parameterized component models. Two approaches for the Parametric Model Order Reduction of such coupled systems are presented and compared in a reduced order shape optimization example. In the first approach, the coupled, parameterized system is derived by coupling the parameterized, full order component models. Then, Parametric Model Order Reduction is executed for the coupled system. In the second approach, the parameterized, component models are first reduced independently of their actual mounting situation. Afterwards, the parameterized, reduced order component models are coupled to derive the parameterized, reduced order system model. It is shown that the first approach yields smaller parameterized, reduced order system models. However, the second approach allows to reuse and to recombine the parameterized, reduced order component models arbitrarily. It therefore introduces more flexibility in the modeling process, enabling for example a toolbox based optimization with parameterized, reduced order models.
KeywordsParametric model order reduction Coupled systems Shape optimization Moment matching
The authors gratefully thank the German Research Foundation (DFG) for the support of this research work within the collaborative research centre SFB/CRC 1244, “Adaptive Skins and Structures for the Built Environment of Tomorrow” with the projects B01 and A04.
- 4.Fröhlich, B., Gade, J., Geiger, F., Bischoff, M., Eberhard, P.: Geometric element parameterization and parametric model order reduction in finite element based shape optimization. Comput. Mech. 63(5), 853–868 (2019). Springer, Berlin, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- 6.Holzwarth, P., Eberhard, P.: Interpolation and truncation model reduction techniques in coupled elastic multibody systems. In: Proceedings of the ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Multibody Dynamics, pp. 366–378 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Lutowska, A.: Model order reduction for coupled systems using low-rank approximations. Doctoral Thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Nastran: Reference Manual. MSC Software Corporation, Newport Beach (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Woodbury, M.A.: In: Kuntzmann, J. (ed.) Inverting Modified Matrices. No. 42 in Statistical Research Group Memorandum Reports. Princeton University, Princeton (1950)Google Scholar