Advanced Practice Nursing in Hong Kong and Mainland China
- 3 Downloads
This chapter is a documentary of advanced practice nursing development in Hong Kong and mainland China. The initiation of advanced nursing practice commenced with the demand for more accessible and available care. Education ensued with more clinically focused postgraduate programs made available to equip the nurses with the required competence. System and policy support for advanced nursing practice are very important but this part seems to be the slowest to be formalized. If it is not for the needs of service and benefits of clients, advanced practice nursing is without meaning. In order to ensure that advanced practice nursing meets the standards, highly educated and competent nurses are essential. Policy and regulation support are important to protect the title of advanced practice nurses and ensure safe and quality care. All of the three components: needs for service, education and competence, policy and regulation support, are essential to make advanced practice nursing flourish and sustain.
KeywordsAPN China APN Hong Kong APN service-education-regulation
- Gazette of the National Health and Family Planning Commission of People’s Republic of China. National nursing career development plan (2016-2020). 2016;11:24–30.Google Scholar
- International Council of Nurses. [Internet]. Nurse practitioner/advanced practice nurse definition and characteristics. 2009. http://www.icn.ch/images/stories/documents/publications/fact_sheets/1b_FS-NP_APN.pdf.
- Liao XB. Joint training program for specialized nurses in Guangdong Province in collaboration with Hong Kong. Chin J Nurs. 2011;46(12):1189–90.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China. The Chinese nursing career development plan (2005-2010). Chin J Nurs. 2005;40(10):721–3.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China. The Chinese nursing career development plan (2011-2015). Chin Nurs Manag. 2012;12(2):5–8.Google Scholar
- Wong FKY. Advanced nursing practice. 3rd ed. Beijing: People’s Medical Publishing House; 2018b.Google Scholar
- Wu XJ. Reflection on the development of nursing professionals? In the era of great health. In: China Nurs Manag Conference, Guizhou, Guiyang. 2019;6:13–14.Google Scholar