NGOs and Global Leadership Development
- 3 Downloads
Although numbering almost 20.7 million globally, nurses are difficult to identify within health focused nongovernmental organizations despite delivering the majority of health services in the sector (WHO, Global strategic directions for strengthening nursing and midwifery: 2016-2020, global-strategic-midwifery2016-2020.pdf, 2016). Partners In Health, a Boston-based NGO recognized as a leader in global health delivery, provides a retrospective case study documenting the organization’s roots and the evolution of nursing within its history. The case study highlights two Partners in Health country sites in Haiti and Liberia which showcase nursing leadership as a mechanism to improve patient care but also showcase the realities of developing and improving the nursing profession in challenging conditions. This chapter provides tangible steps and lessons learned that can benefit any health care provider interested in opportunities to work with NGOs.
KeywordsNongovernmental organizations Nurses Nursing leadership Partners in Health
- Garfield R, Berryman E. After the earthquake: the recovery of nursing and nursing education in Haiti. 2010.Google Scholar
- Griffin MP, Block JW. In the company of the poor: conversations between Dr. Paul Farmer and Fr. Gustavo Gutierrez. New York: Maryknoll; 2013.Google Scholar
- Klopper HC, Uys L. Liberia. In: The state of nursing and nursing education in Africa. Indianapolis: Renee; 2013. p. 143–61.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Health. Statistical report 2016. Port au Prince: Minsitry of Public Health; 2017.Google Scholar
- Murray J, Wenger A, Downes E, Terrazas S. Educating health professionals in low-resource countries: a global approach. New York: Springer; 2011.Google Scholar
- Partners In Health. (2010). Partners in health in work in Haiti. https://www.bu.edu/haitihelp/cause/partners-in-healths-work-in-haiti/.
- Partners In Health. (2013). Hôspital universitaire de Mirebalais. https://www.pih.org/pages/mirebalais. Accessed 6 July 2019.
- Partners In Health. (2014). Empowering nurses to improve care in Haiti. https://www.pih.org/article/empowering-nurses-to-improve-care-in-haiti. Accessed 4 July 2019.
- Partners In Health. (n.d.). Haiti. https://www.pih.org/country/haiti. Accessed 5 July 2019.
- WHO. World health statistics 2013. Geneva. 2013. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/81965/9789241564588_eng.pdf?sequence=1.