Advocacy for Nurses and Consumers
- 9 Downloads
This chapter focuses on several principles of advocacy for policy change by advanced practice nurses in the United States and globally. As an essential component in advanced practice nursing education, the role of advocacy for consumers differs from that of advocacy for the profession. Through AARP and the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, advanced practice nurses from states with restricted laws were equipped with winning strategies to increase legislative efforts in their states. Two exemplars are discussed: lessons learned from West Virginia, a state that has successfully removed major barriers to care, and the continuing journey in Georgia, a state with limited practice. Increasing awareness of public health issues and soliciting support of non-nursing organizations for advocacy are key for advanced practice registered nurses to engage in legislative efforts globally.
KeywordsAdvocacy Advanced practice nurses Georgia Legislators Policy Strategy West Virginia
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners [Internet]. State practice environment map. 2018 [updated 2018; cited 2019 Jun 20]. https://www.aanp.org/advocacy/state/state-practice-environment.
- Benton D. NCSBN APRN roundtable. Some global perspectives. National Council of States Boards of Nursing; 2019. Video transcript available at. https://www.ncsbn.org/13459.htm.
- Benton DC, Beasley CJ, Ferguson SL. Nursing Now! learning from the past, positioning for the future. Online J Issues Nurs. 2019;24(2). Manuscript 5. http://ojin.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodicals/OJIN/TableofContents/Vol-24-2019/No2-May-2019/Nursing-Now-Learning-from-Past.html.
- Boyle M. April 27 presentation, Chicago, IL “Using social media to support your advocacy work”; 2018.Google Scholar
- Definition and Characteristics of the Role. ICN (International Council of Nursing) Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nursing Network; n.d.. https://international.aanp.org/Practice/APNRoles.
- Federal Trade Commission. Advocacy filings. 2016. https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/advocacy_documents/ftc-staff-comment-senate-west-virginia-concerning-competitive-impact-wv-senate-bill-516-regulation/160212westvirginiacomment.pdf.
- Hindman T. Bipartisan nursing bill could ease rural healthcare shortages. Charleston Gazette; 2016. https://www.wvgazettemail.com/business/bipartisan-nursing-bill-could-help-ease-rural-health-care-shortages/article_d31a204e-3e72-5ae3-afe0-042173a8bc09.html.
- Institute of Medicine. The future of nursing: leading change, advancing health. Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press; 2011. http://nationalacademies.org/hmd/reports/2010/the-future-of-nursing-leading-change-advancing-health.aspx.Google Scholar
- Krek PB. Negotiating at an uneven table. 2nd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bates; 2002.Google Scholar
- NP/APN Network Bulletin. 29. 2018. https://international.aanp.org/Content/Bulletins/Dec2018.pdf.
- Regulation of Protocol Use by Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, P.L. No 410-11 § Stat. 43-34-26.3 [statute on the Internet]. n.d.. http://rules.sos.ga.gov/gac/410-11?urlRedirected=yes&data=admin&lookingfor=410-11.
- Rehr DC. How is social media being used in advocacy? Huffington Post; 2017. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-is-social-media-being-used-in-advocacy_b_589a7b12e4b0985224db5bac.
- Scope of Practice, Standards and Competencies of the Advanced Practice Nurse. ICN International Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nursing Network; 2005.Google Scholar
- Stephens B. Perspectives on advanced practiced registered nurses in Georgia [Internet]. 2015. http://www.georgiawatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/APRN01072015WEB.pdf.
- The Discipline of Advanced Practice Nursing—ICN Guidelines. A guidance paper prepared for the international council of nurses. 23 November 2018.Google Scholar
- The Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing. American Association of Colleges of Nursing. 2011. https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/Publications/MastersEssentials11.pdf.
- West Virginia Legislative Auditor Performance evaluation & review division. 2014. http://www.wvlegislature.gov/legisdocs/reports/perd/APN_1_2014.pdf.
- Wohlever AS. Recapturing joy in medicine. Maitland: Xulon Press; 2019.Google Scholar
- Xue Y, Ye Z, Brewer C, Spetz J. Impact of state nurse practitioner scope-of-practice regulation on health care delivery: systematic review. Nurs Outlook. 2016;64(1):71–85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2015.08.005. https://www.nursingoutlook.org/article/S0029-6554(15)00268-7/fulltext.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar