Leadership Through Entrepreneurship
- 7 Downloads
Entrepreneurship is the process of creating value through creativity and innovation to make a sustainable impact. Some nurses will take their innovation to bring new goods and services to the market while others use their knowledge to effect change and growth in their current position. Both nurse entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs are needed to transform our healthcare delivery system. Students, particularly millennials, are seeking opportunities for innovation and entrepreneurship. The good news is that entrepreneurship is not an inherited or genetic trait. The skills can be learned!
Nurses have been innovating in healthcare since Nightingale. Global trends support nurse businesses that harness technology, easier access to care and balance high tech with high touch. Simple steps to create a vision, make a plan, find startup money, and build a network of support provide the framework along with stories of nurse entrepreneurial success and a resource list.
KeywordsNurse business Nurse entrepreneur Business skills Innovation Healthcare Future of nursing
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. Nurse practitioner role grows to more than 270,000. 2019. https://www.aanp.org/news-feed/nurse-practitioner-role-continues-to-grow-to-meet-primary-care-provider-shortages-and-patient-demands.
- Association of American Medical Colleges. The complexities of physician supply and demand: projections from 2017–2032. 2019. https://aamc-black.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/31/13/3113ee5c-a038-4c16-89af-294a69826650/2019_update_-_the_complexities_of_physician_supply_and_demand_-_projections_from_2017-2032.pdf.
- Bednar P. More baby boom II: more moms having more babies. The Washington Examiner. 2018. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/baby-boom-ii-more-moms-having-more-babies.
- Brenan M. Nurses again outpace other professions for honesty, ethics. Gallup News. 2018. https://news.gallup.com/poll/245597/nurses-again-outpace-professions-honesty-ethics.aspx.
- Department of Trade & Industry Small Business Service, United Kingdom. Sharing the vision: a collaborative approach to increasing female entrepreneurship: a strategic framework for women’s enterprise. 2006. http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file38358.pdf.
- European Commission. Green paper on entrepreneurship. 2003. www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200203/ldselect/ldeucom/142/142.pdf.
- Flanagan L. Self-employment in nursing: understanding the basics of starting a business. Washington, DC: American Nurses Publishing; 1993.Google Scholar
- Global Marketing Group. Cultural shifts’ 19. 2019. https://www.egmculturalshifts.com/.
- Hill N. Think and grow rich. Chicago: Combined Registry Company; 1937. p. viii. ISBN 1-60506-930-2.Google Scholar
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Initiative on the Future of Nursing, at the Institute of Medicine. 5, Transforming leadership. In: The future of nursing: leading change, advancing health. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2011. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK209867/.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- International Council of Nurses. Guidelines on the nurse entre/Intrapreneur providing nursing service. Author. Geneva: ICN; 2004.Google Scholar
- International Council of Nurses. Handbook on entrepreneurial practices. Author. Geneva: ICN; 2012.Google Scholar
- International Labor Organization. Promoting women’s entrepreneurship development and gender equality, phase III. n.d.. https://www.ilo.org/asia/projects/WCMS_099683/lang-en/index.htm.
- International Longevity Center Japan. A profile of older Japanese. 2013. http://www.ilcjapan.org/agingE/POJ13.html.
- Internationalinsurance. n.d.. https://www.internationalinsurance.com/health/countries-free-healthcare.php.
- Mazzarol T. Six ways governments can encourage entrepreneurship. World Economic Forum. 2014. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2014/12/6-ways-governments-can-encourage-entrepreneurship/.
- Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary. Entrepreneur. 2016. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entrepreneur.
- Miller L, Lu W. Gen Z is set to outnumber millennials within a year. 2018. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-20/gen-z-to-outnumber-millennials-within-a-year-demographic-trends.
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation. Health insurance coverage and the affordable care act-2010–2016. 2016. https://aspe.hhs.gov/pdf-report/health-insurance-coverage-and-affordable-care-act-2010-2016.
- Panner M. Five ways millennials’ do their own health care. 2019. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2019/04/09/five-ways-millennials-do-health-care-their-own-way/#7d2a8a7320c5.
- Pew Research Center. Baby boomers retire. 2010. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2010/12/29/baby-boomers-retire/.
- Smith, Reimer-Kirkham, Stalhke. Nurse entrepreneurship: a literature review. Poster presentation at the sigma theta tau international 43rd biennial convention. Las Vegas; 2015.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. Aging and health. 2018. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ageing-and-health.