Advanced Practice Nursing in the United Kingdom
- 7 Downloads
The United Kingdom is comprised of four countries, England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, with each country having a devolved government responsible for developing their own policies including health policy. Advanced practice nursing has evolved in response to the country-specific needs. An overview of the development of advanced practice in each country is provided in this chapter, with a summary of the successes and challenges during this period. Currently, title protection and regulation are not standardized within the UK. However, many changes are evident including the creation of Academies of Advanced Practice in England and Scotland to accredit those working at an advanced level. In England, this includes allied health professionals, not just nurses. Case examples of advanced practice nurses who have demonstrated exceptional leadership and pioneering work in the UK are presented in this chapter.
KeywordsAdvanced practice nursing Nurse practitioner Advanced practice Advanced clinical practitioner United Kingdom Regulation Education
Advanced Practice Nurse
Advanced Clinical Practitioner
Allied Health Professional
Advanced Nurse Practitioner
Clinical Nurse Specialist
Health Education England
Royal College of Nursing
- Barton TD, Allan D, editors. Advanced Nursing Practice: changing healthcare in a changing world. London: Pagrave Macmillan; 2015.Google Scholar
- Bindless L, Firth J, Harrison F, Michael S, Walker R. Combining the Best of Nursing and Medical Care: Evaluation of the West Yorkshire Nurse Practitioner (Primary Care) Development Programme from 2001–2005. London: Health Education England; 2007.Google Scholar
- Chief Nurse Office Directorate (CNOD). Transforming Nursing, Midwifery and Health Professions’ roles: pushing boundaries to meet health and social care needs in Scotland. Paper 2-Advanced Nursing Practice; 2016.Google Scholar
- Council for Healthcare Regulatory Excellence. Advanced practice. London: CHRE; 2009.Google Scholar
- Council of Deans of Health. Advanced clinical practice education in England: event report from the 2018 Council of Deans of Health/Health Education England advanced clinical practice education conference. 2018. https://councilofdeans.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/081118-FINAL-ACP-REPORT.pdf
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety. Advanced Nursing Practice framework-supporting advanced nursing practice in health and social care trusts. Belfast: Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety; 2016.Google Scholar
- European Economic Community. Directive 2000/34/EC of the European Parliament and Council. J Eur Commun. 2000;L195:41–5.Google Scholar
- Health Education England Multi-professional Framework for Advanced Clinical Practice in England. 2017. Available from https://hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/HEE%20ACP%20Framework.pdf.
- Hill B. Exploring the development of Advanced Practice Nursing in the United Kingdom. Nurs Manage. 2017;24(5):36–40.Google Scholar
- London South Bank University. Barbara Stillwell Honorary Doctor award. 2016. Available from http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/stories/barbara-stilwell-honorary-doctor.
- Mitchell G. NMC considers advanced nurse regulation as part of review. Nursing Times. 2019. Available from https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/professional-regulation/nmc-considers-advanced-nurse-regulation-as-part-of-review/7029311.article.
- National Health Service Management Executive. Junior Doctors – The New Deal (Calman Report). London: Department of Health; 1991.Google Scholar
- National Leadership and Innovation Agency for Healthcare. Advanced practice–the Portfolio. Llanharan: NLIAH; 2010a.Google Scholar
- National Leadership and Innovation Agency for Healthcare. Framework for Advanced Nursing, midwifery and allied health professional practice in Wales. Wales: Llanharan; 2010b.Google Scholar
- NHS Education for Scotland. Advanced Practice succession planning development pathway. 2008. Available from http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/nursing/roledevelopment/advanced_practice/documents/01_ExecSummary_Background.pdf. Accessed 4 Feb 2010.
- Nursing & Midwifery Council. The Code: professional standards of practice and behaviour for nurses, midwives and Nursing Associates. 2018. Retrieved from https://www.nmc.org.uk/standards/code/.
- Royal College of Nursing. Nurse practitioners: your questions answered. London: RCN; 2002.Google Scholar
- Royal College of Nursing. RCN competencies. Advanced Nurse Practitioners – an RCN guide to the advanced nurse practitioner role, competencies and programme accreditation. London: RCN; 2008. Available at: http://aape.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/RCN-ANP-guidance-document-2008.pdf.Google Scholar
- Royal College of Nursing. Advanced Nurse Practitioner-an RCN guide. London: RCN; 2012.Google Scholar
- Royal College of Nursing. Advanced level nursing practice: RCN standards for advanced level nursing practice, advanced nurse practitioners, RCN accreditation and RCN credentialing. London: RCN; 2018a.Google Scholar
- Royal College of Nursing. Advanced level nursing practice competencies. London: RCN; 2018b.Google Scholar
- Scottish Government Health Departments. Supporting the development of Advanced Nursing Practice - a toolkit approach. 2008. Available from http://www.advancedpractice.scot.nhs.uk/media/1371/supporting%20the%20development%20of%20advanced%20nursing%20practice.pdf.
- Skills for Health. Degree apprenticeship standard advanced clinical practitioner – Level 7. 2017. Available from https://haso.skillsforhealth.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017.11.14-Advanced-Clinical-Practice-Apprenticeship-Standard-Final.pdf.
- Stillwell B. Patients attitudes to a highly developed extended role: the nurse practitioner. Recent Adv Nurs. 1988;21:82–100.Google Scholar
- Stilwell B. World Health Assembly Young Leaders Programme. Personal Communication; 2019.Google Scholar